.44 hand loads for a Rossi 92.

Scribe

I hand load for a Rossi 92, 16 inch barrel .44 magnum. My standard load is a lead 200 grain round nosed flat point at about 1000 feet per second. This is with Bullseye. large pistol primers and magnum cases. They shoot and cycle fine, but the cases are very dirty after firing. I do tumble my cases before reloading. I have also noticed that unfired rounds, if cleared from the magazine are often dirty, indicating a build up of powder residue in the magazine. Is this just a feature of Bullseye powder? My reloads cycle well, I seat the the primers below the level of the primer pocket and the bullets are secure with no sign off movement or being set back when cycled or moved through the magazine. Would increasing the crimp on the case reduce the fouling? I occasionally shoot magnum, both factory and home rolled and haven't noticed it with these.
Any suggestions really appreciated.

I hand load for a Rossi 92, 16 inch barrel .44 magnum. My standard load is a lead 200 grain round nosed flat point at about 1000 feet per second. This is with Bullseye. large pistol primers and magnum cases. They shoot and cycle fine, but the cases are very dirty after firing. I do tumble my cases before reloading. I have also noticed that unfired rounds, if cleared from the magazine are often dirty, indicating a build up of powder residue in the magazine. Is this just a feature of Bullseye powder? My reloads cycle well, I seat the the primers below the level of the primer pocket and the bullets are secure with no sign off movement or being set back when cycled or moved through the magazine. Would increasing the crimp on the case reduce the fouling? I occasionally shoot magnum, both factory and home rolled and haven't noticed it with these.

Any suggestions really appreciated.
Probably a combination of powder residue and (mostly) burned bullet lube. Using powder coated lead bullets should minimize this type of fouling.

Are you finding unburned powder residue in your action? The only time more crimp has helped me is when firing heavy loads of 2400 and unburned powder grains were being left in my revolver.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

When I use lead cast bullets for my low end (860-1100 FPS) 44mag rounds my stainless Super Blackhawk is nice and dirty when I am done firing. When I use jacketed bullets for my full power rounds it is much cleaner. I have started loading copper plated bullets for my lower end rounds to use solely for the indoor range to cut down on the smoke a bit.

Bullseye is dirty stuff but the mag tube issue has nothing to do with that. You just need to clean it. That big cloud of dirty smoke has settled in the tube.
What's the load? The only Bullseye load on Alliant's site is the Max load that runs 894 FPS out of a 7.5" barrel. No rifle loads at all.

my old Lyman 46th edition has Bullseye load data for a 215gr round nose flat point looking bullet. 5.0gr (935fps) - 7.5gr (1210fps) out of an 18.5" Ruger carbine barrel. Nothing for 200gr though.

200gr at 1000fps is a pretty light load and wont expand the brass to fill the chamber.
Unless you run a hotter load you will have dirty cases period.
I run 100% cast bullets in my guns and it doesnt matter about cast lube or jacketed. The case has to expand enough to fill the chamber or there is leakage

200gr at 1000fps is a pretty light load and wont expand the brass to fill the chamber.
Unless you run a hotter load you will have dirty cases period.
I run 100% cast bullets in my guns and it doesnt matter about cast lube or jacketed. The case has to expand enough to fill the chamber or there is leakage
I agree 100%. That is why very hard cast lead isn't always the best thing if you are trying to get projectiles to fill/seal the barrel completely and not let any gases get past. Once I started using lead in the 12-14brn. leading disappeared. You can't have gas cutting.

Back