44 Dan Wesson for a 66 Smith

VTR996

My neighbor wants to trade his 66 .357 for my .44 D.W.
I have a book of values and they are listed at about the same price.
I have a redhawk & really don't need 2 .44's do I?
I want to be fair about the trade,so what do you think even up or who to boot?

Tough question, as there are too many unknowns here. What is the condition of the revolvers in question? While 4-inch M66's are common as grass due to police trades, 6" and 2.5" are somewhat scarcer. The 3-inch is a very rare bird. I don't have my S&W book handy, but I think the M66 was available in the famous "Pinned Barrel/Recessed Cylinder" config so beloved of collectors. Is this one of 'em? The DW was available in several barrel lengths as well, and also was offered as a "pistol pack" with several of the barrels included.

If I had NO .38/.357 revos, and 2 .44's, I'd be inclined to trade a DW for a pre-sellout S&W. Ammo is cheaper and more widely available. The Smith would surely be easier to carry concealed.

Ever SHOT that .44 DW?

I got one, and the trigger is SO smooth... short firm pull in SA mode... longer but managable on DA mode...

CRISP break, HEAVENLY to shoot...

IF the Smith is a common model, (AKA 4" or 6" bbl) I'd trade... and then sell the Ruger to finance another .357...

then again, I'm partial to Dan Wessons...

try that ttrigger out, you'll see why!

Even if your Dan Wesson was

plain-jane blued-steel, I'd say your neighbor would be way ahead on that deal. We do need more info in order to better evaluate this for you.:)

oops,my Lisdexia kicked in... KEEP that Dan... (I misread and thought the Dan was his...)

NO WAY I'd trade it off!

Sorry,not enough info..
My D.W.is an older one w/8" vented,blued (kinda) it has a redish brown "blueing"on the frame and "normal" blue on the barrel shroud...This is the same one that someone "F'd up" the locknut on the barrel on but he's aware of it.
I do like the trigger on it,it is sweet,smooth,crisp no stacking,nice.
To be honest I'm guilty of improper use of a DA,I usually use it for deer hunting or targets and use SA mostly,and my redhawk usually gets more of a workout cause I like it better.
I also have a .357 blackhawk so that'll put me with 2 of 1 or the other.
The 66 is a 4" not pinned barrel I believe,didn't pay close attention to it,not a REAL big smith fan (I realize I'm comparing apples to carrots but that sigma still tastes bad).Still I don't have a DA .357 and it would be a nice addition.

Back