.44 colt replica

knightwalkr

Inactive
would it be possible to modify a .44 colt SA replica to fire double action. if so what would it take. Where would I find directions to do this.

If you have literally unlimited money you can get almost anything.

What you'd have to do is find a true world-class custom gunsmith/firearms designer and be prepared to wait several years and spend a GOOD many thousands of dollars.

The single action frame is too small to allow installing a double action mechanism so the gun would necessarily be very bulky and odd-looking.

On the other side of that is to convert a double action revolver to look like a single action.
This was common in the 1930's for use by Hollywood cowboy stars.
These usually had the grip frame modified to look like a single action grip, and a fake ejector rod housing was attached to the barrel.

This would be a lot easier to make up and a lot easier to find a custom gunsmith to do the job.
Price would be thousands less, but still expensive.

Hi, Knightwalkr,

The answer to your question really is no. There have been some DA revolvers over the years that resemble single actions, like the High Standards built on the Sentinel design during the first "cowboy" craze.

The granddaddy of them all is the Colt Model 1878, sometimes called the Double Action Frontier. Except for the grip and trigger guard, it looks a lot like the SAA, and the barrel, ejector rod and ejector rod housing are interchangeable with those of the SAA. One in decent shooting shape will cost around $2000-2200, though, and they tend to be fragile.

But to convert a SA revolver, like a Ruger Vaquero or a SA Colt to DA, nope.

Jim

Yeah, I was gonna say that Colt already made that gun! I wish that one of the Italian makers would re-introduce it.

Best,
Oly

re

thanks.. I dont want to spend that much.. I was more hopping for a kit that changed out the trigger mechanism. I probably wont be buying another pistol for a while.

I have several rifles and pistols.. so im good for a while. also I really dont have the money to fire them like I would want so until I get a little more financially stable I need to cut back on my shooting to. Bullets for the colt are more than for my P90.

Hi, olyinaz,

Some real junk* has been repro'd lately, but the Model 1878 would be a reach. They were never that great and that grip shape make for wicked recoil. Plus they are not as fragile as the Model 1877, but they are prone to a lot of problems. One interesting feature is that they have no cylinder stop; the cylinder stop is in the hand itself, an odd arrangement that works OK until the gun picks up a little wear.

*The Colt Lightning Rifle was junk when Colt made it and I would guess that unless they have redesigned it, that has not changed.

Jim

Covert a Starr DA to cartridge.:cool:
STARR02.jpg

Yes, I suspect that the fragility of the series is part of the problem but given that new metals might solve much of this I also have to wonder if the major reason why they've not been re-introduced is because they don't have a place in SASS shooting? I'd love to see the Wild Bunch opened up to some other turn of the century double action and semi-auto pistols.

Oly

Back