44-40 colt 1st gen SAA plz Help!!

Hi guys, I am restoring a SAA 44-40, the problem is that it looks like the bushing of the cylinder and the axis went solid due to rust and time and anyway it was used long time that way so the part where became in contact with this I mean the frame went ovalized so I need to know who can fix this?
thanks.
Milton

colt repair

You might try brownels for list of gunsmiths.there are a no of good ones out there but I dont know personaly.Iread an article on restoring antique.At the gun show yeasterday 6/16 they had one for sale $1500.:):)

Hi, Milton,

Are you saying that the base pin bushing rusted into the cylinder or that the base pin rusted into the bushing? The former is often not correctable, but you can get the cylinder out and the gun will work OK.

If the base pin is rusted into the frame or into the bushing, I can only suggest a long soak (days) in Kroil, then after removing the hammer and the base pin lock, try driving the base pin forward from the back with a brass punch. Use the Kroil, tap it, more soaking, try again, and so on. If it is stubborn, remove the ejector rod assembly so you can set the gun up in a vise in such a way that the front of the frame is supported while trying to drive out the base pin. Those frames are not very strong and you can bend or break them fairly easily.

Jim

Back