432 PD?

FLA2760

I have a Smith 432PD I bought new back in 2004. I carry a 442 daily and sometimes the 432 PD as a BUG. Is it possible and safe to carry 32 ACP Fiocchi FMJ in the 432 occasionally? I have several hundred rounds of the Fiocchi on hand for my Kel Tec P32. Additionally which do you think would would give better penetration, the. 32H&R Magnum HP (Hornady Critical Defense) or the Fiocchi 32 ACP FMJ? Thanks.

I believe the 32 H&R mag will pack a little more oomph. No reason you wouldnt be able to shoot .32 acp (not sure if you'd need a moon clip or not).

I've heard a number of times that you can shoot .32ACP in both .32H&R Mag and .327mag revolvers. I still have some .32ACP from when I had a NAA Guardian and don't see buying another, so it is a reason (one of many) that I plan to eventually buy either a .32H&R Mag or .327. So, I suspect you'll be fine, though you wouldn't be able to quickly reload if needed (the extractor won't catch the rims, since .32ACP is only semi-rimmed). You may want to try it at the range before you actually carry it.

As for which will have more penetration, neither are great on penetration. From what I can tell looking online (there aren't a ton of .32mag gel tests), both are pretty close (10-12" is pretty common). Though, with JHP, the .32ACP is more likely to be more limited in penetration, and if it penetrates, it is less likely than .32mag to expand. Personally, if I had a .32mag, I may use .32ACP for fun at the range, but I'd use .32mag JHP for defense.

The 32 ACP ammo is usually cheaperand a lot easier to find. It seems to work fine in my more modern ( late 20's on) Police Positive and Hand Ejector. To eject point the muzzle up and hit the ejector rod. Also it is easier to carry.

My dad gave me a S&W model 31-1. I had heard that you could shoot 32acp in it so I did. And it worked. Made lots of noise but you couldn't hit a damn thing with it. But it made noise. If all you want to do is make noise you are in luck. I got smart fast and bought some 32 long ammo. It was amazing what a difference shooting proper ammo made.

But if you plan on relying on this gun why don't you get the ammo for listed on the side of the barrel? Its what will shoot best.

I just don't get why people want to shoot ammo designed for a semi auto in their revolvers.:rolleyes:

I guess I scared the OP off with my post. My point was that if you want to shoot your 432PD do it with the ammo it was designed to shoot. If you want to shoot 32acp rounds then shoot them from a 32 auto pistol.

I have an S&W 431PD. As you know it is also a 32 mag gun. And all I shoot are 32 mags. No 32 longs and for sure no 32acp. I really like this little gun. It hides in my night stand and does duty when I check out a strange noise around the house. And nobody knows its in my pocket.

It is loaded with 85gr hollow points. Loaded it weighs 15oz. The same weight as the 442 I have weighs unloaded. The light weight is a bigger plus to me than the extra shot that everyone else seems to focus on. I am a real 32 caliber fan and have 7 revolvers, one auto and a lever gun in 32 caliber.

But if you think you want to tote this gun around with you then use the ammunition it was designed to shoot. It will work and give its best service with proper ammo.

I believe the op was asking the question due to him having a few hundred rounds of the acp ammo. I also have heard you can do it but I choose not to, I would carry the mag ammo for self defense and if you want to give it a try at the range then go ahead.

Hi Smee. I knew what the OP was asking and yes you can fire 32acp in a revolver and most guns will set it off if it has enough firing pin reach. You just have to try it in your gun. But I wouldn't rely on it for SD as the OP asked.

The bullets are undersized at .311 and 32 mag bores should run around .3125. The older S&W guns like the 32 long have even bigger bores and throats. The 32 long I mentioned has .314 throats and a .313 bore. These guns were geared to shoot lead not jacketed ammo. There may not have been any jacketed ammo loaded for them. So the proper ammo works best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=188YNcVJLL8

32acp ammo won't hurt a 32 magnum revolver. I won't shoot it out of my 32 S&W long revolvers (too much pressire), but it won't hurt the magnum revolvers.

I own or have owned six 32 magnum revolvers. Two wouldn't fire 32acp at all, two fired some rounds but not others, and two shot it just fine. I honestly don't recall the accuracy one way or the other. I had a bunch of WWB 32acp that my European pistols wouldn't feed, so I shot it out of revolvers.

The 32acp will not harm the 32 long revolvers. Between the long jump of the undersized bullet in the chamber then the undersized bullet in the bore any high pressure will be bled off. Then you will experience the useless accuracy from shooting auto pistol rounds in a revolver.

I know because when I received my first 32 long S&W model 31-1 all I had for ammo was 32acp. I was told you could it in the gun so I did. It only took two cylinders full to see I couldn't hit anything with it.

So next gunshow I found lead bullets and brass. I used my uncles dies to load a hundred rounds and then went shooting. What a difference proper ammo made.

I bought my own dies, more brass and bullets and never shot 32acp in a revolver after that.

They should fire just fine. They may not extract easily but would you really be doing this for defensive purposes? As others have mentioned, they may not be as accurate or powerful as you like. In fact, it would be a definite step down into "marginal" self-defense territory if you used them for CC. The old .32 H&R magnum is lighter and a little faster than .38 special, but can get similar energy levels. This was cool because you could do it with light recoil and an extra shot on the wheel. Of course, you're still only approximating .38 special power levels with the .32 H&R magnum. In general, I'd choose .32 H&R magnum over .380 acp or standard-pressure .38 special (and maybe +p given the extra round). The invention of .327 Federal and the LCR 327 has largely made this option obsolete.

The modern .327 Federal does something similar but with more power. It delivers energy levels somewhere between 9mm and .357 magnum with relatively light recoil and an extra shot on the wheel. You can fire all these .32-caliber cartridges in the .327 wheel guns but I generally don't.

Back