.43 Egyptian & .43 Spanish What is the dia.

Maxem0815

I own both a 43 Egyptian Rolling Block and a .43 Spanish, I am now baffled as to the actual diameter of the bullet I looked it up and it is any thing from .433 to .441 I can't figure out the original diameter to start with. Anyone have any ideas?:confused:

Mace
Happiness is a belt fed weapon and lots of ammo

Slug your barrel to find out. Both of them had so much variation that it is virtually impossible to tell which one you have.

Fun guns, BTW.

I'll only add that slugging will be a small investment for the fun you'll have once you get them shooting. The summer I was 18 (mid 70s) I traded a Marlin 22 to the local Sheriff for an old 43 Spanish rolling block and around 200 original blackpowder cartridges. We took them down to an old abandoned quarry that winter and turned them on the huge icicles which formed on the rock faced 'cliffs'. Shooting was from 150-550 yards and once we got the range, we could fell them in 2-3 shots, although it was necessary to look under the smoke cloud to see the hit.

That sack of original cartridges would bring more than several Marlin .22's today, but I consider it just another investment in a lifetime of great shooting experiences.

Last edited:
Back