41vs. 44 or45

bullfrog99

Looking at smith&wesson revolvers, old style with the hammer mounted firing pin, I am looking to choose a 4" carry gun for woods bumming. The 45 colt is good by virtue of low recoil and a large slow bullet, fairly effective combination but it isn't the best choice for hunting (255gr @900fps) the 44 magnum would work good but has excessive recoil yet 44 special can be shot for practice. My question is concerning the 41 magnum I found on http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm
250-300 grain 41 magnum bullets. these should penitrait better then simular weighted 44 magnum bullets with little loss in diameter (.410 vs .429) would i be able to get more power out of a 657 then a 629 by the fact the cylinder walls would be thicker, or at least enough power to take advantage of the better penitration of the 41 cal round? any big 41 mag fans want to enlighten me on any other aspects of the cartrige that i should look at?

I belive out of the ones you listed, the 41mag is the correct choice.

That being said, my choice would be a ruger 45lc.
But since you didn't mention that choice, I submit the above opinion.

The .41 magnum would be an excellent choice for
an "all around" woods gun. I had a vintage model
57 Smith with a 4" barrel year's ago; and with the
proper handload's its a viable hunting handgun.
I found that using Sierra's 170 grain JHC and W-W
630-P, this round could be started at around 1300
fps. I wouldn't hesitate to acquire another one.:D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I recently bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag with a 45/8" barrel. It's going to be my "big bore" for the woods this summer. Slapped some Pachmayrs on that puppy and I'm good to go. Also got a Hunter versa-fit holster for it.
Weights important to me when I'm out in the woods. This Blackhawk weighs in at 40ozs. Not bad for the power it can generate. I've worn it around the homestead and you barely know it's there.
Ammo? Well, nothings perfect. You'll have ALOT more choices in 44 mag. I'm not a handloader but I really don't have a problem with limited ammo choices in 41 mag. For me, it's just a woods gun anyway.
I'll be stokin' it with Federal's 250gr Hardcast load. In a 40oz revolver these loads are stout to say the least but with a Pachmayr or Hogue grip they're not to bad in the "pain" department.
Right now I've got Federal's 250gr Hardcast load, Remington's 210gr softpoint, Federal's 210gr hollowpoint, PMC's 210gr "truncated" softpoint, Winchester's 175gr Silvertip, and Cor-Bon's 170gr hollowpoint. So, there's really enough different loads out there, for me anyway. Best Regards, J. Parker

Bullfrog,

There's a couple holes in your logic, friend.

You wanted a, "4" carry gun for woods bumming", then say the 45 Colt wouldn't be any good for hunting with a 255 @ 900 fps. First, you're going to have to handload to get 900 fps out of a 4" barrel with that weight bullet. That being said, what is it you are going to "hunt" when "woods bumming" that will stand up well to a 255 g bullet at 900 fps?

Second, you say "the 44 magnum would work good but has excessive recoil". If you think a 250-300g bullet isn't going to recoil out of a 41 mag, you are going to be in for a big surprise.

Final analysis. All three will work fine, and there isn't a great deal of difference in any of the three out of a 4" N-Frame revolver. It will really boil down to your own personal preference. Good luck in making your choice and enjoy what ever you end up with!

I'm a big fan of the .41 Mag. I have a 6" Mdl 57, and have killed a 400 lb black bear with it, using 210 gr. Win. JHP factory loads several years ago. I presently reload for it, and now use Joe Penny 220 gr. hard cast bullets, with a hefty dose of H110, for my "walkin' around in the boonies" load. For "plinking" I use 210 gr. hard cast bullets with 12 grs Blue Dot, or 8.0 grs Unique. These are fun to shoot and don't bounce around so much.

If one reloads, IMHO, Beartooth Bullets (www.beartoothbullets.com) makes the best hard cast, wide meplat bullets around, and I have some of their .410 265 gr bullets on order. I have an idea those will end up being my standard carry load. I also have a Marlin 1894 in .41 Mag., and the two make a great combo set for me to carry out in the mountains.

I also have a .45 Blackhawk (convertible), and when I carry it out in the woods, I use .452 285 gr. Beartooth Bullets for my "what if?" load. It's accurate, built-for-stout, and easy packin'.

If you practice a lot (and everyone carrying a handgun for whatever purpose should), any of the three calibers, .41, .44, .45, will get the job done on just about anything you're gonna run into in the lower 48, with the right bullets.

As said above, carry whatever feels best to you and which you shoot most accurately. They'll all work fine.

J.B.

Back