.416 Taylor in Mauser Action?

DeBee

I have a spare Mauser action that's been polished and the bolt welded straight down in the old Oberdorf style. I was going to go for a 7x57mm in an express rifle configuration but, if possible, I'd like to build a big bore with iron sights, front barrel band... this way I wouldn't have to worry about drilling and tapping and scope mounting headaches.

My question is: What cartridge is big bore, fits in a .30-06 length action, and wouldn't have to have the bolt face opened up and feeding characteristics modified? Is the .416 Taylor a .30-06 necked up to .416? Other recommendations appreciated...

DeBee, you would have to rework everything to get the .416 Taylor to work in your Mauser. Really the answer to your question is All of the big bore cartridges would require opening the bolt face and feed rails at least. George

DeBee, the .416 Taylor is the .458 Win Mag necked down, or the .338 Win Mag necked up. it is a standard belted magnum case, and is designed to fit in standard actions.

any belted magnum case will require the bolt face to be opened up, if the bolt is configured for a non-magnum cartridge.

Get a hold of gun digest 1997 51 annual edition. It has an article on a 98 being converted to .416 rigby. Your library can probably get it on inter library loan. If you can't find it email me after the first week in Jan and I'll mail you a copy of the article when I get back from vacation...ben

The biggest cartridge that will fit your action without doing much work would be the 375 Whelen, it's the 30-06 necked up to .375, and that's about as big as the 30-06 case can get without losing the shoulder. It'll put out up to 3500 ft/lbs or so, and won't require much, if any, action modification in your project. Hope this helps.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Back