416 Rigby rifle recoil

Hard Ball

I am thinking of getting a large caliber bolt action rifle. The,416 Rigby looks very attractive but I have not been able to find one I can shoot here.
Can anyone comment on the recoil I should expect? The heaviest rifle I have shot regularly is a .375 H&H Magnum.

I haven't shot either, but here's how to compare the recoil: Take the muzzle velocity and multiply it by the bullet weight, for each gun. I assume the larger product will be for the Rigby; dunno. Anyway, divide the larger number by the smaller. If you get some number like 1.30, the gun/cartridge that gave you the bigger number has 30% more recoil.

Knowing that the weight of heavier rifle will reduce recoil, take that ratio and use it to adjust the above percentage...That is, if your .375 weighs 8 pounds, and the Rigby weighs 9, multiply the Rigby's greater recoil-percentage by 8/9.

I don' wanna shoot no 7-lb Rigby...

:), Art

Here is a rough comparison. A nominal load 30'06 has about 17 ft/lbs of free recoil energy. A 416 Rigby has between 65 and 70. But it is a slower recoil...not so sharp and stingy.

Hueco

I have shot the a .416 Rigby in the Ruger model 77. It kicks less than a .416 Remington and a heck of a lot more than a .375 H&H. It would be great caliber for dangerous game in Africa, etc. if you can handle the belt it gives you. I don't think it has any use in North America other than just plain fun if you are into big bore rifles, lots of noise and pain.

Back