.410 Winchester lever action

dZ

At first glance you’ll think it’s a Model 94® rifle. But it’s a shotgun inside: fitted with a smoothbore barrel and
chambered to handle all current factory 2-1/2" .410 bore shotgun loads, including Foster-type rifled slugs (a
handy idea for larger varmints). With the variety of shotshells and slugs available today, the Model 9410 may be
the most versatile combination gun ever. The unique sight system features an easy-to-align TRUGLO® front
sight combined with a modified shallow “V” adjustable rear sight. The rear sight offers a clearer field of view for
fast, shotgun-style shooting. With its walnut straight grip stock and traditional forearm you get handling and
pointability that‘s simply perfect for fast moving game. Due to its tubular magazine design you have a full nine
shots at the ready.

Fun. Pure Fun. Hunting cottontails or squirrels. Shooting a round of
skeet. Chasing deep-woods grouse. Or training a new shooter with a
lever. Whatever you use your Model 9410 shotgun for, it’s certain to be
more fun than you can ever remember. The Model 9410 is the first
production Model 94 action chambered in .410 bore. And it’s the first
lever action .410 in just about . . . forever. With the Model 9410 you get
everything that makes the Model 94 famous. A smooth, quick action.
Natural lines and pointability. The solid feel of mechanical simplicity.
Plus you get advanced features like the ACE system (Angle Controlled
Eject). It’s a new extractor/ejector design that ejects virtually any 2-1/2"
shotgun shell with the same, positive force, no matter how slow or fast
you open the action. The Model 9410 has the versatility to handle the
factory 2-1/2" loads you like: light target loads, bird shot loads and even
rifled slugs. And of course recoil is light and comfortable for any
shooter, young or old. Not only does the design have over 100 years of
proven reliability behind it, the Model 9410 is the first Model 94 action
that was tested and proven with thousands of rounds shooting clay
targets. In fact, shooting it is so much fun, everyone in the company
wanted to be part of the testing team. Fun is what the Model 9410 is all
about.
The patterns you want.
The Model 9410’s cylinder bore produces
essentially full choke patterns at 25 yards.
Percentages are within the ideal range for
.410 performance with small game (like
hunting cottontails using beagles, shown at
top of page), shooting clay targets and even
upland hunting at conservative distances.
With Foster-type rifled slugs, the Model 9410
gives very acceptable groups out to 50 yards,
ideal for dispatching coyotes or other larger
varmints.

http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/md9410/9410.htm

Sounds like a "info-mercial" from Winchester. Looks like the exact same words from their website. In fact I would call it SPAM except I also like Winchesters.

I have my share of Model 94 rifles, BUT for some reason a Model 94 Shotgun 410 gauge doesn't ring my bell. Make my shotguns the pump type, or maybe a O/U lies ahead for me.

yep. its a ker-snip from the webpage
I don't own one, but mayhaps another TFLer might be interested

Other webpages change, but TFL is ferever
;)

dZ

There's a cherished 94 here in 30-30, and a few others in my past. However, I really cannot think of much of a niche for any 410, especially one that doesn't take 3" shells.

But, to each his/her own. If it floats your boat....

.410 Winchester Lever shotgun

Dave: I see you noticed that too. My guess would be that the dimensions of the receiver wouldn't accomodate the 3" shell. The cost of stretching the receiver would have run their price out of sight. Not a marketable concept and the 2.5" 410 probably won't make it either.

Thus lies the only justification for buying one. Due to the short expected production life of this piece, they will likely become a collector's item. However, that is not enough reason to interest me in one.

Being a .410 nut I was really interetsed in the gun at first. I became less interested in it when I found out it doesn't take 3" shells.

2.5" .410 shells are not bad shells, they just give you less chances to make mistakes. The 3" shells don't give that greater of an advantage, just a few more pellets in the payload. People who shoot .410 skeet or hunt with .410's know they can get the job done. I hunt dove here in AZ every year and I limit everytime I hunt using 2.5" skeet loads in my Win mod 42 field. The performance is there, you just have to be precise. I shoot skeet with an 870 skeet gun and normally break 20-22 birds with 2.5" skeet loads. If you are on target, the 3" is not much of an advantage. I would say that if you are worried about the differences between the 2.5" and the 3", a different guage might be in order.

I like the idea but would like to be able to use both lengths of shells and not be limited.

Tiger, I do not have that much use for a 410 anyway, but I would want the ammo flexibility that 3 inch capability offers JIC.

DZ, how does it work for skeet(G)?

Intel, whatever floats thy boat.Having done a little AZ dove shooting in my distant past, my guess is you're in a blind at a watering spot taking incomings. Fast, fun sport. A 410 wll do that well, but not shine at the sunflower field pass shooting we do here in Md. Longer shots, and a little more gun is better.A 20 ga with a modified bbl would be excellent, tho I do most all my doves with a 12.

I tend to agree that this 94 shotgun will be assuming collector's status PDQ.

Well, I'll have to confess to a certain yearning for this one. I have no idea what the heck I'd do with one but I think it's really cool :D.

I'm a consumate plinker though and I think it'd be fun to just use on jugs and stuff in an informal setting. Only problem is that at $400+ it's not really priced in the "just for gits and shiggles" category (at least not on my budget).

I guess the appeal to me is two fold:

- with the cowboy shooting I've been doing I've takin' a hankerin' to lever guns of all stripes, and I really like the old lever action Winchester 87's and 01's in 12 and 10 gauge. The 9410 ain't historical but it is neat.

- I've been toying with getting a .410 as a "just because" gun. Because I like the skinny little shells and because I haven't owned one yet :).

Still, I gotta admit that I'd prefer it to take 3" shells too, just for versatility if nothing else and the price tag is a bit more than I'd probably want to pay for something I don't have a real use for but just think is neat.

Maybe I'll wait until someone else gets one and then realizes "what the heck did I buy this thing for?!?" and get's rid of it at a discount :D.

Back