.410 question

zip

can a standerd type 410 single shot chamber and fire 45 lc ive checked the past post and havent been able to find an answer to this question so can any of you answer this ?

thanks ahead of time

------------------
oneshotonekill

I was one of the people who posted this very question a couple of months ago. I wanted a 'snake load' to take with me in the desert. The advice I received was to load shot into a .45LC case. I loaded powder according to the total weight of the shot. I used #9 shot.
1. Sized, deprimed and reprimed case.
2. Drop powder
3. Insert cardboard wad..use a pencil to seat it not too tight. Note: You make the wad by sharpening a .45 LC case and pounding it into the cardboard with a rubber mallet...gently.
4. Drop shot
5. Insert final cardboard wad to hold shot in place
6. Give the case a good tight roll crimp to hold the cardboard in place.

I would recomment using an old .45 case as the tight crimp tends to ruin the case and cause it to split a little on the end on firing.

I tested against an 8" Shoot-N-C target at about 6 yards using my Ruger Blackhawk. It patterened great and covered the whole 8" Plenty enough for any rattlesnake.

Hope this helps, regards Mikey.

[This message has been edited by TheOtherMikey (edited January 03, 2000).]

Zip: Forget about firing .45 colts in the .410, it's not worth the danger. The colt bullet is .452(more or less) and the typical .410 barrel(most of them are full choke) measures .390(Again, more or less)at the muzzle. It is technicaly safe to fire the .410 in a 45 colt chamber(eg: Thompson Center)that has been cut with that in mind but I wouldn't trust the relatively thin walls of the shotgun to stand up to squeezing that big bullet thru the choke. I'm sure it's been done before without injury but that's no guarantee you'll have the same luck.

Back