.410 buckshot?

adad

Does anyone know where I can get .410 shotgun ammo loaded with buckshot of any size?

Thanks

------------------
These guys are making a real difference; if you value your right to keep and bear arms, support their fantastic work: Citizens Of America/
Wound ballistics is the study of effects on the body produced by penetrating projectiles:
Wound Ballistics
Great daily commentary from a thoughtful Christian perspective:
Daily Commentary
Some fascinating information on the current market mania:
Prudent Bear

[This message has been edited by adad (edited February 16, 2000).]

ive got some around here that i keep to play with when im out shooting its winchester 000 buck 3 pellets iirc try your local gun shop but walmart at lest the one here dosent carry it

------------------
oneshotonekill

[This message has been edited by zip (edited February 16, 2000).]

Shok:

I went to the winchester web site and no buckshot shows up for .410. This was for their "classic" ammo. Is it premium or some other type?

I checked Federal's site and they don't have any.

I'd like to find a .410 shell with #1 or #2 buckshot loaded by a big maker. Its not looking very promising...

------------------
If you value your right to keep and bear arms, support this fantastic organization -- they're doing it right:
Citizens Of America
Wound ballistics is the study of effects on the body produced by penetrating projectiles:
Wound Ballistics
Great daily commentary from a thoughtful Christian perspective:
Daily Commentary
Some fascinating information on the current market mania:
Prudent Bear

[This message has been edited by adad (edited February 17, 2000).]

adad:
I'd suggest rolling your own. It would be very inexpensive and you could twist up just about anything you want. When I was a kid we would load 6 shot in the empty spaces between buckshot. If your talking about HD that may be something you may try.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

adad,

I don't know what it was. It was in a white box marked made by Winchester. Maybe they don't make it any more?

I wouldn't recommend puting birdshot in buckshot. The more weight in shot the higher the pressure in the barrel. You just don't know if you'll exceed max pressure and create a dangerous situation. If you want to do that you should reload your own and carefully weigh it to meet the specs in a reloading manual.

Shok

[This message has been edited by Shok (edited February 18, 2000).]

The three-pellet 000 Buck .410 shell is manufactured by Winchester for American Deringer. Sellier & Bellot has trumped this by introducing four-pellet 000 Buck and five-pellet 00 Buck loadings. These are all based on the 3-inch .410 hull.

Experimenters have even surpassed the pellet count of the S&B loads by one apiece. In the Handloader's Digest, 11th Ed., C. Rodney James wrote up his experiments with six-pellet 00 Buck .410s. Furthermore, in _Cartridges of the World, 6th Ed._, Frank C. Barnes mentions playing with five-pellet 000 Buck loads. These were launched with either 16 grains of 4227 or 14.6 grs of 2400 to achieve a muzzle velocity of 1,100 fps. He was getting patterns of ~6 inches at 25 yards.

Playing with ball diameters other than standard buckshot, I have calculated that a 3-inch .410 hull could hold either five 93gr .395" balls or four 104gr .410" balls. (The former is calculated from the length of a six-pellet 00 stack, and the latter from the length of a five-pellet 00 stack.) The .395" ball is available for muzzleloading rifles from sources such as Hornady, while NEI offers a .410" ball mold. Given the straight stack of the pellets, a rifled choke might actually enhance the patterning...shades of the Paradox shotguns!

The .410 would appear to be an ideal size for a high(er) capacity box magazine than the 12 gauge. The 10 round magazines for the Russian Saiga 410 appear to be equal in length and definitely thinner than the 5 round magazine for the 12 gauge Saiga 12. Given the similar size envelope of the 3-inch .410, 7.62x54mmR Russian, and the .303 British, a double-stacked .410 magazine might even be feasible (although the straight walled hull would probably proscribe double-position feed lips).

The Russians seem to be sold on the general concept, producing a version of the Saiga 410 equipped with military AK-style furniture: folding stock, pistol grip, et al. (All the nasty bits that prevent importation short of a bayonet lug.)

Back around the mid-1980s, Franchi experimented with a select fire bullpup .410 that vaguely resembled the FN P90 (with the exception of magazine placement and sights). It used a 15rd box magazine and fired 200rpm on full-auto.

[This message has been edited by Daniel Watters (edited February 19, 2000).]

The Saiga .410 looks like a great idea. But why no .410 shells with #1 or #2 or even #3 buck? Why do they go from bird shot to 000 buck? I'd really like to try a .410 with #1 or #2 buck. Guess I'll have to roll my own.

Thanks

The smaller buckshot pellets are not likely to give you much of an increase in hull capacity. By dropping to #2 Buck, you'd only be able to fit one more pellet than the OO Buck loads. #4 Buck might get you an extra two pellets.

Thanks for the info. I was trying to not only increase the pellet count but to decrease over-penetration for typical HD distances and locations (i.e., less than ten yards with inner rooms seperated only by dry wall and with somewhat denser outter wall materials).

I'm trying to come up with a load that will give good penetration results (say, 12 to 15 inches or so) for targets with light to heavy clothing. This isn't to say that I expect dry wall to stop a pellet with that kind of penetration power, but I want to know that it isn't going to go through several of the rooms in my house, exit my house and end up in my neighbor's bedroom.

Back