410 Buckshot Remington HD 000 Out Of A Derringer Gel Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrgunsngear

I always wondered what 410 buckshot would do out of some of the current 'self defense' pistols on the market these days so I figured I'd make that happen. I used the 2.5'' Remington HD 000 buckshot load, the Clear Ballistics "FBI Spec" gel, and a Bond Arms Texas Defender (3'' barrel) for the test. Here's what I found:

-2.5'' pattern at 7 feet
-Penetration was 8.5'' to 12''

Here's the video of the test and what I think of the results:

410 Short Barrel Test

So coming out of a 3" barrel does it mean there is 1/2" of actual barrel past the shell mouth?

Edit...never mind, I see it was addressed in the video.

Thanks for the video, well done. Simple and to the point.
I was actually surprised at the amount of penetration.

I appreciate the time and effort you spend in performing these tests (I really do!), but...

No BB calibration appears to have been performed on the simulant so penetration performance is suspect. (Any "pre-calibration" performed by the manufacturer must be verified by shooting a BB into the block to ensure the observed results are accurate.)

Also since you have so many bubbles in your simulant block it seems to fit the definition of "unfinished", which according to the manufacturer is not calibrated to human tissue density (see - http://clearballistics.com/about/ ).

And you didn’t provide the barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, time of the day and location of the moon so your test is un calibrated.:rolleyes:

And you didn’t provide the barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, time of the day and location of the moon so your test is un calibrated.

In the absence of calibration data, the question is: Do test results mirror realistic terminal performance in soft tissues?

If you want to believe it is, then that's your prerogative. The rest of us are skeptical when the test medium isn't calibrated and doesn't meet the manufacturer's specifications.

The rest of us are skeptical

Rest of us,,,, I count 1.
Maybe you should make some better videos with more calibrated data so we can see how it’s done, me it was still a nice video and I appreciate the work he did without making useless negative comments.

This block was not calibrated as I've pretty much stopped doing that because I've never had one not calibrate properly. It was recycled and cured as per the specs (I don't know any other way to do it) though.

How was the recoil?

It's not as bad as you'd think. It's not pleasant but it's not painful either.

It's not pleasant but it's not painful either.
I shot one in 44 special with 240’s and the grip just battered my hand. I’m still going to buy one for no other reason that I am a 44 special nut.
You shot that at 7 feet which is a good range for what the gun was intended for, was the one you fired into the block point of aim?
Thanks

One pellet at 8" and one at 9". The pellets skimming bottom of the gel pack are a little suspect. Still, better than ugly looks and naughty language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back