.410 Ammo Question

seeker_two

I recently traded for a Mossberg .410 pump with 24" full-choke barrel. I'm planning to use this as an "all-around gun" for recreation, close-range critter control, and home defense. Looking at the ammo choices available, I've noticed that quite a bit of .410 ammo is marketed for pistols like the Judge or the Snake Slayer. I've also noticed that a lot of that .410 handgun ammo is pretty effective in said pistols. I'm particularly impressed with the Federal Handgun loads in #4 (for critters) and #000 (for home defense).

How does the .410 handgun ammo function in a full-size .410 shotgun? Does it perform better than the .410 shotgun ammo typically offered?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

(I'm not planning to get a .410 pistol anytime soon.....but those Snake Slayers do occasionally whisper "Buy Me" in my little ear.... ;) )

I would get some and try them, they might work great in YOUR gun, they might not. This is where the pattern plate is your friend

I have a Rossi Circuit Judge, it's a long gun with an 18 barrel. I shoot 000 through it all of the time. Patterns pretty tight, I'm willing to bet with a smooth barrel it'd probably punch one big hole.

Back