410-44 Shotgun Question

mr-geep

I have an old H&R Break shotgun with lots of personality. The barrel is marked 410-44. The old man that gave this to me said that he has shot 2 1/2 inch shotgun shells through it many times and even slugs. Just wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the 410-44 and if I could continue to use it the same way. Its not nice enough to be a wall hanger, and too nice to just leave in the gun cabinet. Thanks.

I am not sure about your gun but years ago there was a good market for "garden guns". Back in a more civilized time you didnt call the cops for everything imaginable. When varmits got in your garden you shot them yourself. Since people were living closer to each other than before, a major concern was accidental injury to others. Thus a few manufactuer built a garden gun that shot small charges of small shot. This sounds like what you have. Most were chambered for 44WCF aka 44-40 shot cartridges. These guns were smoothbore.

It was the precursor to the 410. H&R, Stevens and Marble game getter used a 44-40 shell also known as the 44XL loaded with about 1/3 oz of bird shot. The 44GG is a 44-40 loaded with a round ball. This is a low pressure round and you cannot use modern 44-40 ammunition in it. The 2 1/2" .410 shot shells should be fine.

You might be interested in this link.

http://www.fourten.org.uk/mwpre410.html

Thanks

Thank you for the info. I took it out in the back yard and tried it out (with my eyes closed and head turned to the side for the first shot) with a 2 1/2 inch shell with #8 shot. Casing looked fine afterward and it seems to have an exceptionally tight choke. Will make a good Grouse gun.

[tried it out with my eyes closed and head turned to the side for the first shot. Will make a good Grouse gun.]

As long as you open your eyes, and watch the birdie. ;) :D :D

You might want to measure the chamber of this shotgun, from the best of my memory alot were chambered for a 2" 410 shell which is long extinct. To measure the chamber simply unload the gun, open the action and using a rigid sharp edged ruler, run the ruler down the chamber till it touches the edge of the chamber. Make sure to keep ruler in contact with the chamber as you insert it. It may take a few tries to get a good reading. Remember a shotshell lenght is measured from a fired case not a loaded on. Just because you sucessfully fired a 2 1/2" shell doesnt mean its safe. If a longer shell is used in a short chamber, preasures rise fast.

Back