410, 00 buckshot

Inside a house, probably OK. Amazes me that most seem to think that only 00buck or something larger will kill someone. They talk about HD guns but don't seem to understand that you are very unlikely to be shooting outside average room distance. Shooting at someone outside your home and calling it HD can get very shaky in court. Inside a room it doesn't matter what you shoot in a shotgun, the shot charge will still be inside the cup and will blow a heck of a hole in someone. Doesn't matter if it's birdshot or not. Even the lowly .410 at ordinary room distance has an impact comparable to a .44Mag when the shot hasn't had chance to spread. Try shooting a watermelon at 10 or 12 feet. Amazing! Too much BS from internet experts. GW

In 1962 I killed my first deer, a 9 point buck, with a .410 that my dad had loaded 6 or 7 #1 buckshot into a 3 inch shell that formerly held #6 shot. Ran about 20 feet. They work although undoubtedly not the best choice.

I dont think I have ever seen 00buck in a 410. If there was such an animal I doubt it would hold much if any more BBs than 000buck of the same length.

From a 410 I would go for 000buck or a slug. Id avoid the Winchester PDX1 for 410. May be I am wrong but I believe they where designed to be used with rifling like in the Judge.

I reload a little bit of .410 in " OO " Buck ....and for my .410 ( 2 1/2" chamber ) ....and 1/2 oz of shot ....is 4 pellets of "OO" buck.

My son shoots them in a Judge ...and I have an old Derringer...that is chambered in .45 Colt and .410 shotshell....
----------
In my area....you can buy "OO" buck loads retail in .410 ...and some slugs as well...( just watch your chamber lengths on your guns in .410 ....my O/U .410 is a 2 1/2" chamber ...so I keep and reload 2 1/2" Remington STS hulls for Skeet, etc in .410 .../ but I know Remington, just as one example - sells a 3" shell too.

Remember in shotshells -- the length is the " Fired Length " ..../ so please don't drop a 3" shell unfired into a gun with a 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" chamber...and think it fits...( it may drop in unfired / but it won't be safe to fire a shell that is longer than the chamber in the gun).

Last edited:
I dont think I have ever seen 00buck in a 410. If there was such an animal I doubt it would hold much if any more BBs than 000buck of the same length.

S&B has been selling it for over a decade. 3" 00 Buck......it holds five pellets. Same # of pellets as Win. 000 buck but instead of 1100 fps. you get 1230 fps according to the respective manufacturers. So your choice is 3/4 oz. @ 1100 fps or 5/8 oz. @ 1230 fps. The 00 Buck is in a wad and tends to hold a tight pattern; at least that is what I have seen from my 410's.

Back