41 magnum for hunting and defense?

bullfrog99

I have been saving up for a tracker titanium in 357 magnum, but i was wondering what merits a 41 mag(the other caliber available) would have going for it out of a 4 inch tube. it seems to me that 7 357's is better than 5 41 mags?
what's your opinion on the caliber it's potential and if it is worth the loss in capacity? should run into nothing bigger than a michigan white tail, so it's more just a cary gun for hunting or defense when traveling long distances far away from anywhere.

Loss of capacity? For What?

This is hunting and basic protection that we are talking about? Not combat! Right?

Only need one straight, clear shot to dump a deer and if you require more than five shots to defend yourself, you're probably over you head.

Both are good cartridges and do have their plus and minus points, but you have to look at what the gun is going to do for you most of the time. The 41 Magnum is a excellent hunting cartridge with good defensive characteristics. Three fifty-seven is the reverse. Good for hunting and excellent for defense.

Robert

[Edited by Robert the41MagFan on 12-16-2000 at 02:21 AM]

Dittos to the .41MAG man. The .41 IMHO N E E D S to be launched from a gun in the 40 oz. range. I had a S&W .41 Mtn.Gun which weighed about 39 oz. After ~ 50 rounds I sold it as my M57 amd M58, 4 inch guns, weigh in at about 4/5 oz. more and made ALL the difference in the world.

It's easy to forget that marketing guys spend their lives trying to figure new ways to get our cash from us. These lightweights that are flooding the market are, to me, just so much fluff. Just yesterday I was doing so sighting in on a S&W M19 snub with a range of handloads. THERE IS NO WAYI would plunk down my hard earned money for any gun less than 20oz.for the.357 and the .41MAG twice that....UNLESS you don't want to shoot it at all....dewey

Light gun / "heavy" caliber / unpleasant shooting experience.

I prefer heavy steel guns except in 'mouse' (more appropriately in my circumstance, "mice" LOL).

Back