.41 Magnum Bullets

10mm

I am looking for a source of hard cast lead bullets for the .41 Magnum. I want a hard cast bullet in the 175g-180g range, preferably a SWC, but shape is not of the utmost concern. All of the big lead bullet companies I can find do 215g SWC, and some that do 245-260, but nothing lighter. I know LEE makes a 175g SWC mould, but I don't cast my own. Anybody have a source for quality hard cast 175g .410 bullets?

As an aside, is casting your own hard or expensive? What type of costs are involved in getting started? Thanks.

I would cast them

a lee producion pot with the bottom pour around $40.00

a Lee mold around $23.00

a jar of Lee liquiod alox, $3 or $4.00

hopefully you can get wheel weights for free

a Lewis lead remover, cuz ww are softer than hard cast $13.00

so you can get started for under $70, and you can cast $70 worth of bulletts the first night,
someone on this board recommended the lewis lead remover, and that's another item that pays for itself.

Steve smith can get you a good lube recipe, i havn't made it yet but it looks good

hope this helps JM

What about hard casting? Does it require different equipment/techniques? Or just better lead? What about the breathing of lead vapors? Is there a website detailing the technique?

Does casting require great skill to make a consistent bullet? I like to reload, but I'm not too sure I want to get into casting as I am short on time, but if a monkey can do it then I might have time. Thanks.

NOT FOR MONKEYS

Lead poisoning is serious; suggest continuing search.

Of course, I'd really like to know why you need a lighter lead bullet.............trouble with the 215's?

Well, the need or desire for a lighter bullet is that I have several boxes of Speer 180g UniCor HP that were for the .41AE that I plan on loading for the .41 Magnum. I want a simlar weighted lead bullet to use to duplicate a load as far as POI and felt recoil for practice so I can save the 180 HP for defense or just because I want to hoard the limited supply since Speer no longer makes them. Since I buy my other hard cast lead I would rather buy them instead of starting to cast bullets just for one bullet.

YOU LUCKY HOARDER

Wanna sell those 41 Gold Dots?

My favorite way-best 41AE carry load uses the Speer 180, but my personal stash is now less than 50.
(I've literally scoured the country looking for those bullets; really screwed up my 41 production LOL. Only JHP I completely trusted in UZI's.)

Recommend launch velocity of 990-1050fps.

I've switched to the Sierra 170g JHC for production ammo. This bullet works well in the 1000-1500fps range, and has proved very accurate.
I have not found a lightweight lead bullet, and use 210/215g LSWC for both the 41AE and Mag (although there are many great heavier bullets I use in 41 Mag).

When loading those 180's MAKE SURE you get plenty of case neck tension, as with no cannelure they can 'creep' at heavier recoil levels (REALLY recommend 990-1050fps). Their accuracy is destroyed if crimped too hard.

I'm not interested in selling any of the GD's at this time. If I do I'll let you know. Would it be worthwhile to put a cannellure in the bullets with a Corbin cannellure tool? I'll be using a Redding Proflie Crimp die.

nothing different for hard casting

you simply have to use different alloys, Wheel weights are free and typically hard enough for plinking,

you can add different alloy to harden the final product, but the casting is the same. (I simply drop mine from the mold into a bucket of water and that hardens them enough for my 45 colt and 38 special loads)

you can also harden them in your oven, do a search on bullet casting and their is a ton of info on this site.

DIE IS PERFECT

But I might contact Speer first before rolling in cannelure on the 41 GD.

(And if I couldn't contact them I'd put the groove on 'em.)

Universal Clays? Federal primer? Starline case? You already have the Redding.....

I am using LEE dies to load the ammo, Redding Profile Crimp Die, Starline cases (new) and I have CCI 300, CCI 350 and Remington Large Pistol Primers. I haven't settled on a powder yet but I have AA#5, #7, #9, Blue Dot, Power Pistol, Bullseye, Unique, 2400, 296, H110, HS7, VV110, VV3n37, VV340, and some others. I'm waiting for my brass to get here, then I'll be in business. So the Speer 180 GD isn't good at high velocities? I was hoping to push them a bit fast with the magnum, but I guess I save the heavies for that.

10mm

Speer designed that bullet specifically for the 41AE, not for mag velocities.
(Can take a little bit more, but do not exceed 1150fps.)
Works PERFECTLY at 990-1050fps. Too bad history wasn't proving it to us right now vs the 40 S&W in any weight (although the 135g is gathering a great record).

If you want to drive a lightweight bullet from the 41 Mag use the 170g Sierra; takes some speed! My best terminal results suggest an impact velocity of 1400fps, so launch speeds of 1450-1700fps are suggested.

What gun?

(Starline case, CCI300, Unique, Profile Crimp)

(Wish I still had the Speer data sheet on those bullets.....)

WESHOOT2,

I know you are not a fan of the "lightweight" guns so I figure you like the Redhawk or the 57/58/657 Smiths, but I have a Taurus 415 SS 2.5" I wanted a .41 Mag and got this new for $290 out the door so I grabbed it. I live in MD and they are quickly trying to close the doors on handgun purchases so I snatched it up just in time.

I haven't shot it yet, but it feels pretty nice, not like my 686, 29-2 or 610's, but not bad for less than $300. Trigger is decent and it feels pretty good, so I guess we'll see. I have a few boxes of the Winchester Silvertips coming to me and some brass, once I get that I'll let you know how it is. I wish Winchester sold the ST's in .41 for reloading.

10mm

Spent some time working with light-gun (Taurus 415) user to develop some "whomp" loads for defense.
End result? Winchester SilverTips.

However.......you have the very best defense bullet for that bore size, and I have offered some (well-considered) opinion on how best to utilize them.
Just DON'T TRY too much zip, because the bullet won't work right, and you'll miss your target trying to hold on to that wispy Taurus.

Please provide updates on both your results with the SilverTips and your handloads.
And your impression of your new gun.

5.5" Redhawk.

I'll keep you posted with the results of the gun and the handloads. I'd like a 657 Mountain Gun or a 4" Model 57, but that doesn't seem too likely for me so I'll make due with the Taurus. With the short barrel and the light nature of the gun I doubt I'll be reaching the ceiling of the caliber's potential, but I have a .454 SRH for real power. In addition I have 5 10mm's, a .44 Mag so I guess I don't need to really push the .41 Mag, but I will do what I can with it in the Taurus 'cause that's what handloading is about, right? :D

EXACTLY

And I think a correctly-loaded 180g 41AE Gold Dot bullet through your 41 will make an excellent defense system.

Back