.41 Magnum Ammunition out of a Six Inch Barrel

Anthony

Hello Fellow Wheelgunners,

I have a small collection of Smith & Wesson .41 Magnums. They are as follows...

Model 57 (circa 1971, blued, 4" barrel, stock condition)
Model 57 (circa 1981, factory nickel, 4" barrel, Ron Powers custom)
Model 58 (circa 1964, factory nickel, 4" barrel, Ron Powers custom)
Model 657 (circa 1988, stainless, 3" barrel, Ron Powers custom)
Model 657 (circa ????, stainless, 6" barrel, bought used)

The last one, the six inch model, has been neglected because wearing Houge grips I found it didn't handle well for me like the other .41 Magnums did with similar grips. A couple of nights ago I put an old pair of Pachmayr Decelerator Grippers on it and it's an entirely different gun. Now I'm thinking about getting it slicked up and carrying it in a vertical shoulder holster occasionally for concealed carry.

My one trip to the range with this monster yeilded very efficient powder burn which resulted in extremely low muzzle flash.

Historically .41 Magnum ammunition has been tested in four inch revolvers by the ammo companies. So my question is what kind of velocity increase can I expect with the extra two inches of barrel on my six incher?

Specifically the Winchester 175-grain Silvertip and Federal Classic 210-grain JHP which are rated for 1250 and 1300 feet per second respectively?

Anyone chronographed these loads out of a six inch barrel?

Thanks for the help.

- Anthony

WS2 speak true.

Differences between guns from same run and same length barrels often far more than differences between barrel lengths.

Your gun, chrono it. Then you will know.

Sam

Back