41 loads, blackpowder?

abrahamsmith

I didn't know if this was best here, blackpowder, or handloading, but whatever..

Has anyone tried loading blackpowder/pyrodex in 41 magnum?

Is there anything espescially dangerous about loading a modern cartridge like this with blackpowder, assuming we do all the proper cleaning and seperate smokeless and blackpowder brass?
I'm thinking, of course, of low velocity lead cast bullets.

Any advice on approximate powder amounts? I've heard blackpowder is much more dangerous in case of over/under loads...

Black Powder in Modern Revolvers

abrahamsmith--

Sure, you can do it. Lotsa fun. A few comments---

You can't load enough BLACK powder into a .41 mag case to endanger the revolver.
Normal primers provide plenty of flash to ignite the charge.
Stick with cast bullets.
DO NOT MIX POWDERS! Resist temptation to include even a little bit of smokeless "to make things cleaner."

Forget whatever you've read about such duplex loads for special effects blanks and so forth. This can be dangerous.

I have zero experience with pyrodex in metallic cartridges--Perhaps someone else can help here.

You'll need to be able to detail strip your revolver, and modern guns are more complicated than the old cap & ball and BP cartridge arms. Get help if you haven't done this before, or at least obtain proper screw drivers and a good set of instructions. For instance, DO NOT PRY on the sideplate. Remove screws and then tap the frame with a plastic or rawhide mallet.

Black powder is hightly conducive to rust formation. Hydroscopic, I think it is called--the residue attracts moisture and corrosion forms quickly.

I used to load .45 Colt ctgs with about 30 gr of FFFg black and either a 230 or 260 gr lead bullet. One fun stunt was going into my great uncle's small, dilapidated barn late one afternoon, with the SAA and a replica .36 Navy all loaded up and loosing off all twelve rounds, rapid fire, just to get the true effect of an indoor shootout, a la the western movies. Plenty of flash, LOTS of smoke. I could still see the silhouette target 10 or 15 feet away, but only dimly. The smell was overpowering, though, and when I opened the doors, two barn cats and several hay rats evacuated the premises in a panic!

Oh, yeah, gotta be careful about shooting these loads around anything combustible.

Be safe, and have fun.

Best,
Johnny

One thing to add

Clean up of a DA revolver after shooting the blackstuff is a pain in the butt!!

Same for lever-action rifles.

With blackpowder I find it less stressful to stick with single-shot cartridge rifles and cap-and-ball revolvers or rifles.

Just my opinion. Have fun, and be sure to give your six-gun a good cleaning.

BTW, the proper powder charge is just enough that the bullet compresses the charge by about 1/16". If possible, use a drop tube to put powder in the case, and do not use your regular powder measure. Either weigh each charge or scoop it by volume. A cardboard or felt over powder wad is also advisable to protect the base of your cast or swaged bullets from powder gasses.

Doc Hudson

Just a further comment. Doc Hudson is right about compressing the powder charge. The reason for this is to NOT have an air space between the powder and the bullet. Air space in the case will raise pressures pronto, you could damage your handgun. As long as the powder isn't loose in the case behind the bullet you're safe. Otherwise, as stated above, you can't cram enough BP in there to cause trouble with pressure.

Don in Ohio

So, I was just thinking: "why dirty up the nice, accurate, blued revolver when I could get a stainless one and just toss it in the dishwasher after use!"

Any reccomendations on a cheap, stainless revolver in 38/357 , 41. 44. or 45 colt which is easy to break down? DA/SA doesn't matter at all.. just want something to plink with lots of smoke!

So, I was just thinking: "why dirty up the nice, accurate, blued revolver when I could get a stainless one and just toss it in the dishwasher after use!"
I'd advise against putting any firearm in a dishwasher. Unless, of course, you want lead on your dishes in the future.

As for compressing the powder, if you are using less powder than will allow the bullet to compress it, I have heard of people mixing cornmeal with their powder to increase the volume.

Well, okay.. not in the dishwasher, but you get the idea... something cheap in stainless which is easy to breakdown and clean...

Back