40Super anyone?

Bullmoose

I haven't been on the board for about a year so maybe this is old hat, but I am wondering if anybody has any experience with Triton's 40Super? They indicate that it doesn't need a ramped bbl or special parts besides a heavier recoil slide spring. Seems that it would be prudent to at least use a good shock buffer, and a ramped bbl, but what other changes would be dictated by this cartridge that pushes the envelope? What weight spring is used? I think that the heaviest Wolff is around 26#. I don't know how heavy the 2 spring 10mm is and Wolff only makes a single spring for them. The 40Super with its 135gr at 1800fps sounds like overkill, but interesting. I guess I need to check the working pressure on the 40Super, I would think that it would be at least 28,000# similiar to the 45Super, but I am not sure. The 10mm runs around 40,000 with non-ramped bbls. Lots of questions, Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. Jim

Bull,

I recently started firing 40 Supers from my G21. You do need a new barrel, this round looks very similar to a 400 Cor Bon, except just a little longer, 1/16th I believe. I bought a Lone Wolf 6 inch non ported/comped barrel and am using a 22lb spring. Works just great. This round is very hot and has alot of punch. The recoil is not that hot, reminds me of a 44 mag.

Federal, KKM and Lone Wolf all make barrels for this round. If you can't find one for your gun, but you can find a 400 Cor Bon barrel, you can have it reamed to except the 40 Super. Aro-Tek will ream the barrel for $25.00. Of course this would preclude you from firing 400 Cor Bon's from that barrel anymore. Personally, I would much rather shoot this round than 400 Cor Bon. Triton has a nice mix of bullet weights and types.

Also, Triton is coming out with a new round, the 450SMC(small Magnum cartridge). This will be fired out of .45 ACP barrles with just the addition of a heavier spring. Go to Triton's web page and click on news releases. There is a article about the 450SMC

Back