$400 to buy a shotgun - what to get?

bdog

I am looking to buy a 12 ga shotgun primarily for goose hunting. I would like a 3.5" inch chamber and a camo finish. I assume in this price range I am limited to pumps. I am looking at a Benelli Nova and a Mossber Ultimag 835 the price is about the same on these guns. Which would you recommend, and are there any other guns out there that might be what I am looking for?

Remington 870, of course. Like the little, pink, drum beating bunny of the shotgun world, they just keep going and going....

And my views on the need for 3/5" chamber are a matter of record, so I won't bore you. But, it'll also fire more realistic shells,and you can't beat OR equal the track record.

A case may be made for the idea than a good start for ANY shotgunner's batter should start with an 870,the generic all purpose shotgun.

Thanks for the reply, but you guys are like Politicians. I ask a question and you tell me something else. :) Seriously though I like 870's. I have a 870 wingmaster that is a good gun. However I want a camo finish gun with a 3.5" chamber. I don't really want to debate 3" vs 3.5" issue. I figure with the 3.5" I can shoot any ammo out there. I have several boxes of 3" steel shot right now so it might be a while before I even try 3.5" in the gun. I kinda see it like getting a 3/4 ton pickup truck when all you really need is a 1/2 ton. Someday you might want to haul more than a half ton. Sure you may pay a little extra now, but it beats buying a whole new truck down the road.

Get the 870 and pay extra to get a camo paint job :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

If the Nova or Ultimag meet your requirements and they fit you good. Get one. You know, "if it feels good, do it" :barf:

870's are great SG's, but they aren't the only SG's.

DaveMcC, I'll say it for you.

IMHO, the 3.5' chambered shotguns are a waste and LESS effective than the 3" versions. A shotgun chambered to 3.5 will not pattern well with the 2.75" and 3" shells - and just why the heck do you need more than a 3" magnum anyway. There is no real benefit to the 3.5" shell. A good 3" or even a well placed 2.75" magnum will handle anythiung you need and most importantly, give you a better pattern.

Having said that, I also recommend a Remington 870 - with a 3" chamber.

CMOS :)

I agree the Mossy looks great. I like the ported barrel. Has anyone had any experiences with these or with a Benelli Nova? I have never shot either one before. I like the appearance and features of both of them, but I have not been able to find any info on the pros / cons or reliability issues with them.

bdog, have you surfed any turkey or wildfowl hunting forums with this question? Turkey hunters seem to be partial to Mossys for some reason.

I would like to check out hunting forums, especially waterfowl, but I don't know of any. Have any links?

By the way, I made a decision today. I ordered a Bennelli Nova with a 28" bbl and camo finish.

Back