.400 Cor-Bon, Compensated, Accu-Match 1911 Barrel

WalterGAII

Received my new compensated .400 barrel for my G.C. yesterday. Beautiful craftsmanship and a bargain @ $100. (Was over $200 in Brownell's)

Barrel hood on G.C. is .050" narrower than other 1911's, so I did a little filing, and the fit is perfect.

Will give 'er a try today and post function and accuracy results. (Also got a bargain on a spare .400 Cor-Bon barrel for G21)

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

Pardon my ignorance, but is a G.C. a Government Colt?

And where did you get a Corbon barrel for $100?!!

If your trial goes well, tell me where I sign up. I got a P-Ord that would like an alternate ego!

ps Are you planning on doing any re-loading for this caliber? Is there much available (yet) for it?

G.C.= Gold Cup. In my case, a pair of 70 Series Gold Cups. Had a third, but gave it to oldest son when he graduated college.

Advanced Tactical Firearms, marketers of the Accu-Match barrels, has been sold to another company. The three principles of Adv.Tac. divided up the existing inventory. I was fortunate enough to be referred to oen of the principles by another of their customers, who wanted reloading information on .400 Cor-Bon and was referred to me for that info.

No more .400 barrels for 1911's. A few left for Glock 21's. I think my guy is going to dump his inventory at a gunshow over the weekend.

I have two of their barrels for my Glock 21, and they perform wonderfully. I also have the threaded, compensated barrels for the G21.

Have fired three or four thousand reloads through the Glock with no problems. The chamber in the 1911 barrel is a little tighter than the Glock's however, and I'm having trouble getting my reloads to chamber with correct headspace in the 1911 barrel. What few rounds I have fired through it were extremely accurate, and the compensator cuts recoil and muzzle flip in half.

The 1911 shoots .400 Cor-Bon factory rounds fine, but at $17 for 20, I don't shoot to many of them. I'll figure out this headspace problem somehow, or have the chamber reamed out a little. (Problem seems to be in seating/crimping. A resized case fits into the chamber fine. When I seat and crimp a bullet, dont have enough headspace.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited December 03, 1999).]

Ive a non compensated 400 corbon for a 1911 that Ive put in one of my pistol to "check it out" and I like that caliber, the 1991a1 seemed made for it....I dont know who made the barrel as I took it in trade along with some other junk and its turned out to be a jewell.....fubsy.

Figured out my headspace problem. Beautiful barrel and comp; really hated not to be able to reload for it. I'd been seating the bullets out too far. Had more freebore in my .400 Cor-Bon Accu-Match Glock barrel. Rounds that wouldn't fit in the 1911 barrel dropped right in the Glock chamber.

Cor-Bon's recommended o.a.l. max is 1.220" I've been able to seat out to 1.230" or so for the Glock. The chamber for the 1911 provides for an exact max o.a.l. of 1.220". Works great. Really happy with setup.

If you're talking about ballistics, they're almost identical. For their factory loads, Cor-Bon lists .400 Cor-Bon at about 50fps hotter than 10mm, with the same bullet weights. .400 Cor-Bon works at a lot less pressure than 10mm.

My .400 Cor-Bon mishap had nothing to do with overcharging, etc., but was related to trying to get .400 Cor-Bon to feed out of double-stack mags. Had a bullet setback and blew up my G21. Still shooting .400 Cor-Bon, but have learned a lot about it, and don't anticipate further problems.

Back