.40 sw vs. .45 acp

BigMike

Hello,

I am curious as to what is the best caliber for home defense in an auto pistol. I am really interested in the statistics surrounding these 2 calibers. Can anyone out there refer me to any stats on these? I am thinking of purchasing another auto pistol in one of these calibers, and am uncertain as to which caliber has the best statistics. Any help would be appreciated.

BigMike,

Generally, the "best" caliber is the biggest one that you can control. Statistics are interesting, but in the real world, a goblin isn't gonna care whether you shoot him with a .40 or a .45.

That said, my personal preference for home defense (as opposed to street carry) is a 12-gauge shotgun instead of any handgun. My 1911 is there as a backup, but my Mossberg 500 is my first option.

------------------
"Janet Reno is the fire that ignites my loins."
--Joe Cartoon

I agree with Coinneach.

If you want the best of both 40 velocity and 45 frontal area worlds, like I do, go with something that will shoot 45 Super! Use the hot 165 grain ammo and you have an effective handgun load (inasfar as handguns go). Compensator and electronic hearing protection (from Peltor Tactical 6) complete the package. The Tactical 6 amplifies soft sounds while protecting ears from the loud blasts your shotgun or 45 Super makes as you protect your family from the bad guy. Just my .04 cents. Twice the value of my average comments.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

BigMike:

Your ? is justified. Hopefully this info. will assist you in making the proper choice for youself.

If you will, go to a site with the address of www.evanmarshall.com then use the site navigator to go to Towert's Stopping Power Page. Once on the Towert page scroll down to Facts & Figures and select "Actual street effectiveness for 22lr to 12ga". Therein you will find some very useful data to read up on. The info you will find is compiled by the well respected authorities Marshall & Sanow. Their data is based on actual documented shootings with a wide range of calibers and loads by different manufacturers. This info shows one shot stops per shooting. Please note that the best .40S&W load has a total of 96% one shot stops compared to 94% for the best .45ACP.

2% you say? Yes, not much I agree. But is that enough to give one an edge? In my book the answer is yes. Either caliber is street worthy and proven in its on light. The .40 is more controllable and you may carry an few extra rds. than the .45. Dead is dead regardless of caliber. Largely what determines the outcome is your own ability to shoot accurately and effectively. The .45 has been around forever. The .40 is based on an old tried and very proven rd., the .38-40. Whichever you choose practice until your are deadly proficient. The best .40 loan was by Cor-Bon. Check them out at Corbon.com

Good Luck

I enthusiastically bought a Glock 21 when I was 21. It was a .45, so it had to be good, right?

Well, it was actually too fat for my hand. If I am handicapped to using a handgun for defense, my first choice would be my Glock 24 (.40, 6" barrel). I figure: 155 gr@ 1300 fps+/185 gr@ 1150 fps- what's the difference?

I had my .40 rounds custom loaded by Jeff Mullins at Mullins Ammo, but GA Arms makes a similar load, in their case a 155-gr Gold Dot @1300 fps.

Oh- "OSS" is only vaguely useful. Don't be mislead.

Until the full-capacity mag ban expires in 2004, I'm using .45 - after that I'll re-evaluate - prob go with 10mm, not the 40 short and weak (kidding, 40s&w is a really good cartridge - I just like 10mm).

Like Coinneach, I think the best caliber for home defense is .33 ... 9 of them at a time.

bkm

------------------
Anyone worth shooting, is worth shooting twice...

Coinneach speaks for me. The caliber you handle the best is the best caliber for you.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I have researched the links provided to me and look forward to making a selection soon. Thanks....mike

Coinneach hit the 10 ring. Use the biggest caliber you can handle. Bill Jordan said this many moons ago.

Shouldn't that be carved in a stone tablet someplace?

Hey - who builds an Auto Pistol in .600 Nitro Express?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Back