40 SW Ruger vs. Taurus; questions on safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryF

Inactive
I am considering buying one of two 40 SW pistols, either a Ruger P-94 or a Taurus PT940, to carry for self defense. I want to be able to carry one round in the chamber with the hammer down, not locked and cocked, because this provides an extra margin of safety in that to fire I have to not only take the safety off, I also have to fire the first round double action. As I understand it, the Ruger has a decocker and can safely be carried decocked with a round in the chamber. I am confused about the safety on the Taurus. I've been told that I cannot carry it with a round in the chamber and the hammer down or it may go off when I drop it. Any education/advice you can give me on this point -- or any other information about the relative merits of these two pistols -- would be much appreciated. (One more thing, the Taurus is stainless and the Ruger is blued. How much difference does this make for carrying it under varying conditions?)

Larry:

Welcome to TFL first of all!

As to your specific question about the Taurus pistol, I don't have a clue. I've never owned one.

As far as stainless steel vs blued carbon steel...the obvious advantage is that you don't have to worry about a ss pistol rusting after just one day of carrying it IWB on a hot, humid summer day. NOTICE: Having a ss firearm DOES NOT mean you never have to clean it or wipe it down with an oily/silicone cloth. It will (eventually) corrode...it just takes a lot longer than blued, carbon steel.

Hope this helps out...hang in there...someone knowledgable about Taurus will sound off before too long!

Mike

LarryF; Ruger P-94 is a geat pistol. Had one and loved it. A little large for concealed carry. I haven't had good luck with used taurus pistols. Would you consider a .45 or 9mm? The P-95 or P-97 are great pistols!

Thanks for the thoughts. I decided on 40 SW as the "middle road" -- more stopping power than the 9mm and easier to handle than the 45.

Most of the modern autos have firing pin blocks that keep the gun from firing unless the trigger has been pulled. The best manual safety is not pulling the trigger until ready to fire.

I prefer the decock over the manual safety option. Once the decock lever is released, it will return to its normal position. The manual safety will also decock the hammer and return it to DA mode, but you have to manually return it to the fire postion. If you don't and you need to fire again, you are in trouble. I did just that in a training session once. I personally don't want anything extra to think about or do in a combat situation.

I think that Sig has the best decock lever design. I think that it works much better to have it on the frame instead of the slide. Everytime I do clearing drills, the slide mounted lever eats up my fingers.

------------------
"God grants liberty only to those who love it and are always ready to guard and defend it." --Daniel Webster

legacy,

I qualified with a friend's S&W 4506. I can tell you for sure that the decocker on THAT one doesn't return to the ready position.

First string, first shot, nothing! No Workee!
Lord, I thought somehow I'd broken my friend's prize .45!

Luckily I remembered to push up the decocker in time to get my shot in. (whew)

I guess some decockers pop back to ready and others don't, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back