40 Super

redhawk44p

My friend wants to put a 40 Super barrel in his 1911 for hunting. The question is can he load it down for IPSC competitions? If so what load and what barrel should he use? Thanks Much

You bet!
Team Triton uses the 40Super in competition using the 130gr frangible at 1250fps which is only a 162 powerfactor.

I was thinking of doing the same with my P14. The 40Super is even more versatile than the 10mm, with energy from 300ftlbs to almost 1000!

The problem I had was the BarSto fitted barrel didn't like feeding the bottlenecked cartridges. It probably was a function of the ramped barrel on the ParaOrdnance series of pistols.

The bullets were impacting the feedramp with such force the bullets were getting setback into the case, this can lead to catastrophic pressures ending in irreparable damage to the firearm and injury to the user.

Many standard 1911 designs have been converted to the 40Super, definately the single stacks are the best for this.

So, if your friend has a single stack he can order a 40Super barrel from Bar-Sto Precision or Jarvis.

Now reloading dies are another story. A few of us are still waiting for promised sets of 40Super dies from Triton.
I think that's going on 2 years now.......

Now reloading dies are another story. A few of us are still waiting for promised sets of 40Super dies from Triton.

Hopefully not for long. We are currently T&Eing a prototype Carbide Die from a major manufacturer. Once we are satisfied it is up to our standards we’ll give them the green light to start producing it.

We still have the names of the initial 15 people that responded to the .40 Super Starting kit. If you were one of those 15 … we haven’t forgotten about you and the dies will be forthcoming.

I have a G21, through which I can actually shoot .40 Super reliably. I'm impressed with the accuracy out to 100 yds. Fernando e-mailed me way back when, saying that I was one of the lucky ones to qualify for the free dies, and I'm eagerly anticipating receiving 'em. I've been "making do" with an assortment of .400 Cor-Bon dies and a .45 ACP Lee FCD (which I use for post-sizing). Have to run the cases through the press twice, and using actual .40 Super dies sure will be easier.

Back