.40 Super conversion?

DA/SA Fan

Thinking about maybe picking up another EAA Witness steel to convert to .40 super. Can anyone tell me how to go about this type of conversion? I'm thinking, aside from the recoil management, that it could be done by starting with a .45 and getting a 10mm barrel reamed to fit the .40 super?

Thanks!

I'm not aware of anyone making a .40 Super barrel any more. Pacific Tool & Gage did the original reamers; I just emailed them a few weeks ago and they can provide the reamer and a headspace gauge for about $200. There are some incompatibilities between the .400 Cor-Bon and .40 Super chamber drawings I've found online; if they're both correct, you'd need to start with a .40 S&W barrel.

Starline has brass, and loaded ammunition is available from a few places.

The .40 Super gets up into midrange .460 Rowland muzzle energy without the necessity of a compensator. I waffled for years on the Rowland, but I could never come to terms with the fugly comp.

I have a bag of brass, and I'll be able to get the barrel in a few weeks. And then I'll be saving my shekels for the reamer and gage.

Back