.40 semi-auto choices...

Dad2Jane

I'm debating on my next handgun purchase and hoping for some help...

I want a .40 semi-auto.
Factors important to me:
(listed in order of importance)
- reliability
- accuracy
- ease of operation
I'm leaning heavily toward Double-Action Only. This weapon will be used for self-defense; concealed carry; and for regular range use... not for competition. Price, of course, is a factor, but I'd rather pay a little more and get one of the best rather than settle for something less. I am an excellent shot (qualified expert in the military) and am VERY comfortable with most any weapon. Oh, also, I have LARGE hands.

I'm considering HK or SIG. What models would you recommend? Any others I should consider?

Thanks

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

HK USP 40 is excellent (Morgan should have detailed info on this one).

Glocks are great as well. If you're looking for concealability, you might try the G27, but it's very small. The 23 is bigger, as is the 35.

Or you could move up to a *real* cartridge, like the 10mm. ;)

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

You might want to check out:

Sig 226 - .40 S&W
Glock 22
HK USP Full Size - .40 S&W

All of the above match your criteria of reliable, accurate and easy to use. Although the HK does have an external safety which would complicate things a bit more. But you could always buy the variant that turns the lever into a decocker only. In my opinion, of the above three, the Glock will be the least accurate.

If you want a smooth DAO (and I think that is important) I would definately go with the Sig 226. If it is not good enough from the factory (it is pretty good out of the box) then you can take it to a good gunsmith and really make it seem like a hot knife through butter... I have some experience, since I had a Sig 229 DAO in .40 S&W that was reworked by TJ's Custom Guns (a well known Sig gunsmith)...

I have a Walther P99, and it's an excellent gun. It comes with 3 interchangeable backstraps allowing you to adjust the grip to your hand size. The large backstrap makes the grip quite large. The gun is considered a compact, comparable in size to a Glock 23 or a Sig P229.

IMHO:

Why would you want DAO? To me, it's the worst of all worlds. You can master the transition from DA to SA with a regular Sig or HK, I'm sure. The Glock avoids the problem altogether.

YOu also might want to look at the new Steyr M40. New, but a VERY promising weapon. Glock type trigger, but crisper. Optional manual safety, and built in trigger lock.Has a FULLY supported chamber in .40cal. Very comfortable in the hand, although the size of your hand may be a factor.

good luck

Glock 23 or 27(my 23 is more reliable but the 27 is easier to conceal), SIG P229 or P239(if it fits your hand) , Kahr K40 Covert or MK40(MK40 is a hand full, I have the Covert), and the Steyr M40 really needs to be considered.

I, too, have large hands, and love the USP40. My wife has smaller hands (duh!) and likes her USP, but we're thinking of getting a 40 compact for her (keeping the full size, of course). Never a failure, accurate, well built.

I'd also recommend the SIG P226 or a CZ. See if you can handle (or shoot) these and make the best choice you can.

By the way, try IDPA. Much better than range work, and fun!

Glock 23 is a nice CCW; carries about as easy as the 27 which is too small to be easy to retain in a belt and too large to slip into a pocket. I know, I have both.

Also the 23 carries 15 rounds in the Hicap mag.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp 45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

The Glock 23 carries 13 in the hi-caps... the Glock 19 carries 15.

I would opt for the Glock 23 because it's smaller than the 22 and bigger than the 27. Look at the Kahr if you don't mind sacrificing a few rounds. I would also recommend the Beretta 96 if it weren't for carry. S&W 4013 and Sig 229 would do the job just fine as well. The Taurus PT-940 is a good looking gun too.

I'll take one of each please,
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

I personally am a big fan of the Beretta Cougar series. First one I purchased was the 8040 which is their .40 cal. It shoots very well in my opinion and also comes in a compact version. Easy to operate and disassemble for cleaning. Mine is a SA/DA but I believe they make it DAO. They come 9mm,.40 and .45. Prices are not that bad.
I'm a pleased owner
For what its worth.

------------------
gun control is people control

Greetings, Purchasing a new .40S&W caliber
semi-auto; is like deciding on which General
Motors vechile you wish to buy. The choices
are many; and I believe that you have narrowed your want list down to a "short list"? Meeting your demands in the order
that you indicated (reliable & accurate),
helps with our recommendations greatly;
and leaves only two choice's !!!! Those
being #1-Sig-Sauer P229, and #2-H&K USP.
I would prefer the P229 over just about
anything; including the USP, but that's
just me !!!

If you definitely want DAO, I don't see any choices that meet all of your requirements. The best/smoothest DAO I've ever seen is the Beretta Cougar 8040. The downside is that it is very thick around the handle so it might not conceal well. A used Beretta 96 in DAO was also very smooth but even larger. I personally own a USP40C and a Glock 23. I prefer the USP40C for carry though it is a little thick. The DA is smooth(now after >3000 rounds) and the SA is good.

------------------

I recommend the new Steyr M40. After buying and shooting it, I sold all my Glocks. I could never go back.

soft recoil
perfect hand fit
can shoot hundreds of rounds without pain.
4 " barrel
5 point safety system
mount accessory on frame
Lowest bore axis ratio on the market
tough tenifer finish
best supported chamber on the .40 S&W market
cleaner, shorter trigger pull than the Glock
and the list goes on...

Other .40's I like:

Beretta Cougar
Sigpro
USP

Actually, it might just come down to what kind of trigger system and active/passive safety system you want to use. Because, there are several good .40's out there.

Petej88,

How much does a Steyr M40 cost? How is their longevity? If my local gunshop doesn't have one where can I see what one looks like?

Thanks,

Mikie

------------------

When you say big hands, I assume you mean
long and thick fingers. I have a meaty hand
with thick fingers. I had a Glock 23 that was an excellent piece, but the finger grooves were a little small for my fingers.
This made it hard for me to get a good grasp
during a quick draw and fire.
If you go with a Glock, the G22 would be a
better choice.
The Walther P99 is also an excellent choice
with the adjustable grip panels, as mentioned
above.
If your an experienced shooter then you know
to get the that feels the best to you and
spend enough practice time with it so that it
handles "second nature" to you.
All the choices mentioned above are good; I