.40 S&W's "shoehorned" into a 9mm design

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLT

This topic has been dealt with, at least indirectly, in past threads, but I want your advice on this one directly. The topic is the impact to quality/durability when a .40 S&W is "shoehorned" into a gun designed originally as a 9mm. I suspect that you have to look at the individual model (e.g., the 92/96 Beretta, the Sig 226, etc.) Do the frame or other components become too thin? Is the gun more prone to failure? I am particularly interested in the 96 Beretta, and the Sig 226, but advice on the USP would also be helpful. Thanks in advance.

MLT

This response deals only with the Sig P-226. I feel confident the P-226's .40 S&W and .357 Sig designs are NOT compromised by the fact that the pistol is also a 9 mm. In fact, I bought my 226 in .357 Sig specifically to ensure it would handle the greater internal chamber pressures generated by that round. Sig's firearms are superb; I would not be concerned re abnormal failures, fatigue and/or crack propagation in any of their weapons that accommodate 9 mm, .40 S&W and .357 Sig.

Per the Sig-Sauer P226 manual (paraphrased)

The P226 comes in two flavors:
1. 9 mm
2. .4 S&W and/or .357 Sig

If you buy the 9 mm model, you should not install the .4 S&W and/or .357 Sig barrels

If you buy the .4 S&W and/or .357 model, you can install the 9 mm barrel.

Hold this helps.

Duncan

The USP was designed as a .40 from the start. Later it was developed into 9mm and .45, so it won't be a problem (not that the others will be :)).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back