.40 Hi-Power comments? Reliability? Ergonomics?

Erich

Howdy! I've got a lead on a .40 Mk III Hi-Power, supposedly LNIB, for what seems like a good price (just came into shop, they were estimating $475-95 with box, papers and 2 mags - I would only get into the pistol after talking them down to $425-50 range). I've always loved the Hi-Powers' ergonomics in 9mm. I know the .40 is beefed up a bit.

How reliable are these things? Are the ergonomics as good as the 9mm Hi-Powers, or does the little bit of extra weight throw it off? What would be a "must buy" price if it's as described? (I don't really need it, but I'd like it.)

>How reliable are these things?
Very...factory or hand-loads, 165s or 180s...mine likes them all.

>Are the ergonomics as good as the 9mm Hi-Powers, or does >the little bit of extra weight throw it off?
Actually I think the 40s handle better than the 9s. The one thing that was "new" to me was the beefier recoil spring(I think its a 20lb'er). I keep a small rod in my kit to help getting the spring back in.

>What would be a "must buy" price if it's as described? (I >don't really need it, but I'd like it.)

Remember it's not a question of "need"...

That's a good price...

The recoil spring is certainly stiffer, and the recoil itself was a bit of a surprise for me, also. Otherwise, if you like the 9mm's, and are willing to deal with a smaller capacity in exchange for the larger bullet, the .40's are fine.

For myself, I prefer the 9mm's in this gun.

I have the .40 BHP in the Practical model. A truely great pistol. I do not find the 'feel' that much off of the 9mm model. I make changes to my guns and I urge you to get a Sprinco recoil reducer for the .40 BHP. It does away with the heavy recoil spring making it much easier to rack the slide and saves wear and tear on the frame. For improved reliability and accuracy you can have a BarSto hooded barrel fitted.

I got one recently. It is the most reliable pistol I own. Not a single jam or FTF using everything from hot defensive loads to light plinking loads.

The recoil from the .40 was surprisingly mild and it is very easy to bring back on target.

The negatives:

Heavy recoil spring, don't expect to keep it in condition three and rack the slide under duress.

Expensive magazines.

Small safety that can be hard to engage, but it has a very easy, positive disengagement.

The most difficult part of reassembly is installing the recoil spring, but it isn't that bad once you learn the trick to it.

BHP 40s

I got mine new in 96 or 97 and reliability was excellent with factory FMJ's and Win 180 JHP's with narrow HP cavity. Large cavity HP's like Rem 155 JHP's and Fed Hydra Shoks and my 155 LSWC reloads tended to hang up on the feed ramp. Taking a look at the feedramp after gaining some experience with my dremmel, I noticed that one side of the feed ramp was a tad longer than the other. I have talked with another 40 hp owner who noticed the same thing. By enening out and polishing the feed ramp all feedramp jams disappeared and it seems to be 100% reliable even with 155 LSWC reloads. The only other complaint was that my after market Mecgar mag which has a blue rather than a slick teflon finish caused the mag safety to stick the trigger back during firing requiring it to be pulled forward manually. When I took the mag safety out, that problem was cured and the trigger pull was reduced. Comments: The 40 hi power has a tendency to twist in the hand a bit and the narrow trigger makes my finger sore with extended shooting sessions of full power loads. The recoil spring is so heavy it is not easy to pull the slide back with sweaty hands and my wife can't pull it back at all even with the hammer cocked. She has no problem with my 1911 .45. Accuracy is superb. As good or better than my .45 which shoots 3 in 25 yard groups. I would not use it for a carry gun due to the heavy recoil spring making operation under stress more difficult. As a range gun these are excellent. I love to shoot LSWCs at 950fps. Don't depress the slide stop with empty mag inserted. I ruined the plastic follower on one of my mags that way. Now it won't activate the slide stop. rc

Thanks, all!

I shopped it around (several other stores and a gun show that was in town), and no one could touch that price. It really was NIB (turns out I knew the fellow who'd had it - he's one of those eccentrics who buys a couple of guns a month and goes out to the range about once a year), and the store had put $550 on it (they had $500 in it, on trade - this is a store that hasn't changed its code in 20 years). After seeing the much higher prices ($595 on a used one was the lowest I saw) around, I thought $475 was a good price (they honored the over-the-phone quote, but they weren't thrilled about it - one of the other salesmen was ready to buy at $500 if I didn't get it at $475), so I threw it on a charge card. Then I went home to explain to my wife how it's like one of those Coach purses she sees on super sale and has to buy, even though she really doesn't need it (I think she's over 15 Coach purses now). It seemed to work!

So now I just have to get out and shoot the little hummer. Anyway, thanks for all of you advice and info!

Check CDNN for extra mags.

They have Mec-Gars at a good price for the .40. I bought extra recoil springs for mine from Wolf and the spring tool from C&S. You might end up bending one until you get the hang of it.

Back