4" J frame size revolvers?

HighValleyRanch

Ruger makes a 4" SP101 but what other revolvers in that frame size (J frame size, 5 shot) come with 4" barrels. Talking about .357 magnum.

I'm thinking a 4 inch 5 shot lightweight small revolver would be perfect for woods hunting/hiking applications that could harness the full power of the .357 magnum. I was getting 1400 fps with 180 grain Buffalobore heavy outdoorman hard cast out of my Ruger security six with the 4" barrel, so why not in a small frame revolver?

A 1400 fps cast 180 is way above maximum jacketedloads using Hodgdon powders. Get any leading?
I notice Buffalo Bore does not publish pressures. Mind you, Titegroup and H4227 max loads are higher than the SAAMI max pressure.
Issue with a light .357 is felt recoil. And Buffalo Bore says use 'em only in steel framed revolvers including 'J' frames.
Told a Smith rep years ago I wanted a 'J' frame grip with a 4" barrel. Still waiting. The 'J' frame grip on a 2" M19/66 fits my hand. Regular 'K' frame grip does not quite fit.

IDK if it's exactly the size of a J frame, but Charter Arms makes 4 inch .357 revolvers. They're much lighter than the SP101's, which I'm thinking is more of what you're looking to have and not a specific frame size requirement.

I really don't like the front sight on their new revolvers though, nor the sandblasted finish, but Charter did make blued .357's back in the 70s/80s with 4 inch barrels (one of which I grabbed last month) and they also made 6 inch barrel models too, but those are really tough to find.

I haven't shot the BB loads extensively because of cost, but have shot it out of a Ruger blackhawk, Ruger security six, and my .357 LCR.
No leading, they are gas checked hard cast.
I like BB's loads and never had any problems with any of their loadings being over pressured.
Primers looked good and extraction was fine.
Got 1246 and 1250 fps out of the 1 7/8 inch LCR!

Last edited:
well, the 4.2" ruger sp101 is only 4 ounces lighter than my 4" Ruger security six, so carrying OWB there would not be that much difference!

Guess I will wait for Ruger to come out with their 3" .357 magnum LCRX.

I like shooting my SP101 4.2 inch barrel. It is a 357 and I have shot a bunch of 357 out of it. I put a Wolff 10 lbs hammer spring in it and improved the trigger pull a lot.

In 32 Caliber there were 4" J frame model 30's and 31's made. Also, model 63 and 43 in 22LR Smiths. 651 in 22 WMR also.

I don't know of 4" 357 Smith and Wesson J frames, but for a while there was a 5" 357 Magnum model 60 made. It was removed from the catalog a few years ago.

If you don't mind the internal lock, S&W now makes a PC Pro 3" model 60 that's pretty sleek. I have a pre-lock 3" model 60-10 with full underlug, and I can highly recommend it. Mine has adjustable sights, but, there's a 3" model 60-9 for sale around here locally, with fixed-sights.

If you are set on a 4" revolver then, one of those SP101 Match Champions looks awefully tempting . . . . . (although they are actually 4.2" to meet Canadian import restrictions.

Last edited:
IDK if it's exactly the size of a J frame, but Charter Arms makes 4 inch .357 revolvers. They're much lighter than the SP101's, which I'm thinking is more of what you're looking to have and not a specific frame size requirement.

I really don't like the front sight on their new revolvers though, nor the sandblasted finish, but Charter did make blued .357's back in the 70s/80s with 4 inch barrels (one of which I grabbed last month) and they also made 6 inch barrel models too, but those are really tough to find.
Well speak of the devil, here's one of those 6 inch .357 Charter revolvers. OP if you're just looking for a lightweight, long barrel revolver, you're not gonna find any better than this.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/743201802

I enjoy shooting the 4" SP101 in .327 Federal. It can't approach the heavy load mentioned in .357 magnum but hot 100-grain loads are fun and accurate. It should be very effective against coyote and I'd have no qualms about reasonable shots on deer.

Did you change the grips on it?

Yes. I only like the stock grips with a very short barrel. After trying a few different options, I've found the Hogue Hardwoods to be the most comfortable and best balanced with the 4" SP101.

A j frame is quite a bit smaller than a 101, if you intend to shoot any amount of 357 mag it would be wiser to go for a 4” GP 100 or Smith 66 to gain comfort in firing without a lot of additional bulk if is CC is also an desire. I carried a Mod 19 plain clothes until the Mod 39 came along.
Small frame lightweight 357 mag pistols are quite unpleasant to shoot and will quickly change its diet to .38’s for most folks.

Geez, High Valley, a 180 grainer at 1400 fps is a real barn burner even in a full size Ruger Blackhawk!! I had a 5" Model 60 Smith "J" frame .357 for awhile, liked it a lot with Skelton's old load (158 gr LSWC @ 1050 fps), but full house magnums, even with 125 gr JHP's, were absolutely NO FUN.

For a trail gun, it offered power and light weight, but I tended to carry other, shorter barreled guns for that use. My #1 son took a shine to it, and off it went to NY State as he no light weight revolver at the time. He reports that for back country camping & fishing there, as well as woods carry, it's barely noticeable on the belt. HTH's Rod

Skelton's old load (158 gr LSWC @ 1050 fps),
I'm getting that out of my 3" LCRX with the buffalo bore .38 special +P outdoorsman. 1076fps with 158 grain keith hardcast.

Someone will need to explain that one to me. Are not the M19/66 "K frames"?
Think he means the difference between a K round butt on the 2" than a square butt on the 19?

If he wants a carry revolver that is quite accurate at the range as well as carry a S&W Mod 65 3” round butt (K frame) and standard grips with a Tyler T grip adapter is my choice. Pistol is easily concealed, accurate and will handle 357 mag with no difficulty if the shooter is into self induced pain.:eek:

Buffalo Bore 357s out of a J frame would be outrageously vicious. I'd be more inclined to go for their 38 Outdoorsman load in a small frame revolver.

Buffalo Bore 357s out of a J frame would be outrageously vicious.

I think this is overly exagerated.
Here's a clip of little old me shooting BB .357 out of my LCR.
I'm less than 150 pounds and 70 years old!
Admittedly wearing some padded gloves because I didn't know what the recoil would be like, but definitely not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Also what's interesting in this little video clip is the lack of muzzle blast.
This was just taken after I fired two rounds previously for chrono tests of
1246 and 1250. So I fired 4 rounds in a row, and then checked crimp jump on the fifth chambered round, and found no jump.

In the heat of a BEAR attack, I'm not going to feel any pain in my hands!LOL:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZyXkhKPiM

Back