4" Holster for 3" Barrel?

Japatul

Inactive
Hi, all-

I feel like this is a petty thing to post but here goes: I have a S&W Trail Boss with a 3" barrel. It's an N frame model 649 if you're not familiar with it.

I want to get an OWB holster like, say, a Bianchi 5BHL, but there aren't many, if any, options for a 3" barrel.

Does it feel "wrong" to use a 4" holster for a gun with a 3" barrel. I have to admit I don't care for the idea, but I care even less for paying for a custom holster (I won't be carrying it that much).

Is this a common thing to do?

Just wondering....

Best,

Chris

Personally, I think you would be better off getting a holster for a 3" gun. I have a 3" K frame, and if the holster is wet molded and form fitting, then you could probably make it work, but I would try to get one that really fits.

For what you have, consider Simply Rugged holsters. If you think you might want to carry IWB, get the "Inside Out" straps, and you get 2 holsters for one money.

A 5bhl should be no problem to stitch up a little shorter and trim off the excess length. I've done a number of holsters this way over the years as I like them to fit the firearm. If you aren't confident you could do it yourself, almost any little independent shoe repair shop should be able to help you for a small fee. Not a big deal...

A Bianchi 111 Cyclone MIGHT fit your N-frame, with a little stretching (moisten the leather, insert the gun (after waxing it for protection) in the holster and then let it dry). The 111 Cyclone is designed for the 3" HB K-frames. It's what I use (for my 3" model 64's).

I have 3" and 4" K frames. Sometimes I carry the 3" gun in the 4" 5bhl. Works just fine.
Also have a 3" holster from El Paso Saddlery.
Could also get an open-bottom belt slide.

It will work, and not be a problem. I had to look hard for a good quality holster for a 3" J-frame and used another holster for a few weeks.

Every time I buy a pistol, I tell myself, 'There goes another $75 for a good holster'.

I bought an expensive belt/holster rig for a 5" N-frame, then sold the gun. I later got a 4" gun, and don't sweat 1" difference.
I've also never bought a holster specifically sized for my 4.25" Commander, and just use all of my 5" "1911" holsters with it.

Back