4 gun hard range case?

valkabit6

Looking for a decent range case to fit 4 large revolvers. I have several Ruger Blackhawks with 7.5 barrels, and I'd like to find a decent case that will hold four of them if I can.
If I can carry 4 guns I'd consider Pelican prices, but I'd like to avoid the hassle of dealing with that "pluck-able" foam they use. The Plano 4 gun case looks like a ok system as far as foam and storage, just not sold on their quality.

4 large frame 7.5" barrel revolver is a lot of gun... I use a soft side tool bag from Lowes or Home Depot. I throw the soft sided pistol carrying bags/rugs in the tool bag and they are protected, easy to carry, heavy duty, you can carry ammo under the pistols, they have compartments for your glasses, small screw drivers, stapler, ear protection, etc.

The pistol bag I use is called VISM by NcStar discreet pistol case on Amazon. It doesn't have much padding but it will procect the revolvers from damaging one another. It will fit my 6.5" Blackhawk but I'm not sure it will fit a gun any longer than that. The tool bag I use is 20"x8"x10". It hold a couple hundred rounds of centerfire and rimfire for each trip along with the guns and other accessories.

I do the same as reddog. I got a two-fer deal tool bags at Lowes - one is smaller that I carry the ammo in. The larger tool bag has multiple compartments for ear pro, shooting glasses, tools, etc. And I have soft covers for the guns.

Also, get a small, cheap combination luggage padlock to lock the zipper shut when transporting.

I use a Sears Craftsman soft tool bag in the larger size. I also use Allen gun rugs for my handguns, they are well padded and pretty well made. I can carry 5-6 handguns + accessories in it. Home Depot carries a similar large soft bag.
If I wanted a Hard side case, I'd go to WallyWorld and look in the Tool box section. I was looking at a medium sized Stanley Maxx before going with the bag.

Plano Protector #1404, $18 from Midway USA.

I have two of these cases. This case holds two Ruger 7.5" handguns (Super Blackhawk and Blackhawk) on top. Remove the foam layer and there is room for more handguns. In this case, I could carry four large frame revolvers.

attachment.php

Plano Protector Model 1404 with a 7.5" scoped Redhawk and a 10" bull barrel Mark II.
Like Steve in PA said, that's only one layer.
They aren't Cadillac cases, but for a trip to the range they are plenty sturdy enough and provide excellent protection with little if any shifting of the contents.

Attachments

• IMG_20160420_200612423.jpg
    IMG_20160420_200612423.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 124
I built a gun carrier out of mostly scrap wood I had laying around. It will carry two cased rifles/shotguns and 9 cased handguns. I think it cost me around $25.00. Looks like a small casket (I told my wife she could cut me up and bury me in it when I die), but it gets the job done.

Back