4" Colt King Cobra Target vs 4" Python?

wild cat mccane

Hey there,

I've read the only difference between the two is a small frame on the Cobra and no vent ribbing. I've read it is the same action?

Anyone with the Cobra Target or both? The appearance difference is huge, but don't know if it's $600 different?

Thanks!

If you are a bit familiar with the
Smith & Wesson line, think of the
Cobra as a K-frame and the Python
as an L-frame.

The heavier L-frame/Python can be
expected to handle .357s better.

But if you're going to shoot mostly
.38s, plus Ps too, then the Cobra is
a fine choice.

Has it always been so?

When I bought my wife a King Cobra some where in 1989-1991, they were marketed as a Python that did not receive the deluxe bluing and hand tuning. In all other respects including the frame and rib they were the same.

If you are a bit familiar with the
Smith & Wesson line, think of the
Cobra as a K-frame and the Python
as an L-frame.

The heavier L-frame/Python can be
expected to handle .357s better.

But if you're going to shoot mostly
.38s, plus Ps too, then the Cobra is
a fine choice.
Sooo, what frame does the Magnum Carry use? I took it for granted it was a beefed up D frame.

Think of the new King Cobra as a modern Carry Magnum. D frame size, updated lock work.
I agree that it's a lot like a K frame Smith. Use sparingly with Magnums, shoot +P 38 special a lot.
Only my opinion, I doubt anyone has worn one out yet.
The original King Cobra was a Python size gun built on the Mk 5 lock work. I had two when they came out. They were decent guns, but I didn't keep them. I learned on Smiths and stuck with them.

To add regarding the new
Python, it's slightly beefed
up in the top strap area
compared to the original
Pythons.

I have the new King Cobra with 3 inch barrel and Colt says it weighs 28 ounces. Colt doesn't list the weight of the 4 inch barreled King Cobra, but I wouldn't think it would weigh a lot more than the 3-inch barreled model. The weight of a 4 inch barreled Python is listed as 42 ounces.

I felt pretty comfortable shooting 125 gr. magnum Golden Sabers through my King Cobra, but not full 158 grain magnum loads (old stock from Georgia Arms when they loaded with Gold Dots). My Python handled the 158 grain loads much better, as far as my comfort is concerned.

The 3-inch King Cobra conceals with an OWB holster under a normal length jacket or similar covering garment. The Python is a range/woods gun that would need a longer coat to conceal.

The trigger on both my KC and Python are similar to each other and this is to be expected---they are both designed the same and the CNC-machined parts don't have to be hand-tuned. Finish on the Python is nicer, if that matters.

Look at the sideplate.

If the sideplate ends near the forward part of the frame (and near the forcing cone), it has a trooper action. If the sideplate ends near the cylinder stop, it has the older Python type action.

Back