4” 500 S&W holster?

CDR_Glock

What holster do you use?

I’d like it for the range or when hiking.

I have a chest holster already, but I’d like a holster for the range, preferably without a thumb break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7x Leather makes beautiful chest rigs for the X-frame. I have two of them and am very happy with their practicality and quality.

4” 500 S&W holster?

6119a3d9551b99e6a81971439890e13c.jpg
e29bc68088737cb26485dca6f1b11516.jpg

I acquired a Masc Holster out of [emoji1250]. It has an adjustable cant. It fits onto my belt perfectly.

Last edited:
Geezuz! Those pictures are so big the size doesn't register. Please reduce the size.
There are actually lots of holsters for a 4" M500. And they're not stupid expensive. Brownell's lists a bunch of 'em. One from Hunter runs about $50.
More fun making your own though.

Geezuz! Those pictures are so big the size doesn't register. Please reduce the size.
There are actually lots of holsters for a 4" M500. And they're not stupid expensive. Brownell's lists a bunch of 'em. One from Hunter runs about $50.
More fun making your own though.

Yikes. Sorry.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

4” 500 S&W holster?

6119a3d9551b99e6a81971439890e13c.jpg
e29bc68088737cb26485dca6f1b11516.jpg

I acquired a Masc Holster out of [emoji1250]. It has an adjustable cant. It fits onto my belt perfectly.

Not to deviate too much from the topic but how do like that short-legged little hog leg? I’d like to have one of these someday just for schitz and giggles but I’m not liking that 10 or 12 inch barrel one. I like that little shorty but then recoil becomes more of a possible issue...[emoji849]

Not to deviate too much from the topic but how do like that short-legged little hog leg? I’d like to have one of these someday just for schitz and giggles but I’m not liking that 10 or 12 inch barrel one. I like that little shorty but then recoil becomes more of a possible issue...[emoji849]

I will shoot it tomorrow. I’m hoping I can get a true appreciation of recoil. I have a Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull which I shoot 360 gr Buffalo Bore ammunition. It’s stout but doesn’t hurt.

I have a 6” 500 Magnum but it has a SS Weigand rail and a Primary Arms Primary Arms Advanced Microdot which adds a touch of weight.

I wanted the ES model but they’re $2400, now. If I didn’t win this one from Gunbroker I would have tried for the Performance Center 3.5”.

I’ll give a range report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have a Galco holster similar in appearance to the Masc holster pictured by CDR_Glock, but without the adjustable cant. It is adequate though not spectacular, which is typical of my experience with them. It was extremely tight on the gun at first but a few months of use has solved that issue.

If I wanted perfection I think I would have to order a custom holster from a good name, but for a relatively affordable holster that is immediately available I am satisfied with the Galco.

With regard to recoil, my 4" 500 is nearly unmanageable - and certainly no fun - with full-house loads, especially since I replaced the grips with wood. My "max" loads are now the minimum loads listed in the manuals (which still should be good for any conceivable purpose in the lower 48), and my every day load is a 440 cast bullet with Trail Boss. The latter is in many ways a silly and pointless thing, but it still is so much fun that I can't bring myself to apologize for it.

Last edited:
With regard to recoil, my 4" 500 is nearly unmanageable - and certainly no fun - with full-house loads, especially since I replaced the grips with wood. My "max" loads are now the minimum loads listed in the manuals (which still should be good for any conceivable purpose in the lower 48), and my every day load is a 440 cast bullet with Trail Boss. The latter is in many ways a silly and pointless thing, but it still is so much fun that I can't bring myself to apologize for it.

I have the rubber grips which I think are more suitable. I also started using wraps on many of my revolvers which give more girth to the grip and cushion which really mitigate recoil. More girth to the grips spreads the force across a greater surface area which helps with recoil management.
103c45b06c3d2f1c8ccea9f98d24ed6b.jpg

Do the grip switch. Do the wraps. You will enjoy it more.

I think wood is beautiful to behold but if it takes away from the enjoyment of shooting, then it has not done its part for you. It has made your gun less functional.
49d44b60ed8354922fadab2924cb31e2.jpg
This is an older pic of my revolvers. I have a bunch more than this, now. I enjoy shooting them. But the common element is that they all have rubber grips, not wood.

I’m a shooter, not a collector so I must be practical.

As for my holster decisions, I love the comfort of my Masc Holster. It was fitted so well that it is not tight like most leather holsters.

One of my tricks is to place my revolver in a plastic grocery bag and stuff it into my holster. Overnight, it will stretch the leather enough by a few millimeters to allow for a smooth, unhindered draw. I’ve done this for dozens of my leather holsters of various guns (Glock, Sig, North American Arms, revolvers, 1911s). If it is not wide enough, I may fold over the bag, again, and stuff it into the holster or I could use a second plastic grocery bag.

As for my chest holster, I chose a Gunfighters, Inc Kenai holster for my 500 S&W. It’s a veteran run business and I always do what I can to support my fellow service member.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I can't imagine shooting a 500 with a barrel shorter than 8 inches

I have a 6” and a 4” 500 S&W and the recoil is not bad. Then again, I shoot an Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull which is shorter and lighter. I don’t think either amongst them are punishing.

With regard to grips and recoil, CDR_Glock, you make a perfectly valid point, but frankly my use of the .500 is completely irrational. I literally have no earthly need for the thing; it really is just a pretty toy for me. The fact that I cannot comfortably shoot maximum loads in it with wooden grips does not detract from the gun at all for me. Honestly, at least 99% of the loads that I shoot from it are cast 440 with Trail Boss, and in such a heavy gun the recoil is completely manageable with wooden grips. Again, completely irrational, but just about the highest giggle factor of any of my guns!

With regard to grips and recoil, CDR_Glock, you make a perfectly valid point, but frankly my use of the .500 is completely irrational. I literally have no earthly need for the thing; it really is just a pretty toy for me. The fact that I cannot comfortably shoot maximum loads in it with wooden grips does not detract from the gun at all for me. Honestly, at least 99% of the loads that I shoot from it are cast 440 with Trail Boss, and in such a heavy gun the recoil is completely manageable with wooden grips. Again, completely irrational, but just about the highest giggle factor of any of my guns!

That’s kinda why I want one....lol

As much as I’d like one in a 4 inch or 5 inch barrel(the shortest they make), I’m afraid that if that day ever came up that I bought one, it would probably have to be the next length up from the shortest one, whatever that is.

I dunno, it’s always been kind of a tossup from the SW 500 magnum or the 50AE Desert Eagle.

As long as you enjoy it, then do so.

I personally enjoy the recoil and like to destroy stuff with one round.

It’s how I deal with old laptops, or killer Watermelons.
6a1f3703cd5f6433998f51cc69b0a36f.jpg
f88b04be20d0e3e6c819087cf455abe5.jpg

My second holster arrived. It’s a Gunfighters, Inc Kenai chest holster.

Leaves a lot bigger chunks from the Deagle 50 but still certainly another glorious and satisfying video to watch.

https://youtu.be/YRkgO02Uy5U

I only have a 44 Magnum Desert Eagle but they’re such a fun gun to shoot, also.

I stock or reload so many different handgun calibers now. I just don’t want to go with additional ones.

22 LR, 22 WMR/Magnum, 380 ACP, 357 Magnum, 9mm, 44 Magnum, 5.7 mm, 40 S&W, 10 mm, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 460 S&W Magnum, and 500 Magnum. I do not do 357 Sig or 50 AE.

But back to the 500 Magnum, you can do 500 Special in different grains of bullets. It probably has the widest grain range available for a handgun caliber, 300 up to 700 gr.

Back