3x9

A 3X9 scope is a fixed power 3X scope with a 9mm objective. A 4X32 scope is a fixed power 4X scope with a 32mm objecive. A 3-9X40 scope is a variable power scope ranging from 3X to 9X with a 40mm objective. There is a correct way to use the terms. Most of the time people can figure out what you mean, but it can cause confusion. They make 8X32 fixed power optics as well as 8-32X variable powered optics as well as several other combinations that would be confusing if written incorrectly.

Why do people sometimes do it? I have no idea, but it is one of those things that causes me minor irritation. Not enough to get upset, but enough to try to educate people of the proper terms.

I'd go by the way the scope manufacturers express it.

3-9x40

You can always find somebody who mangles up the nomenclature, but all that really proves is that people make mistakes, sometimes.

taylorce1 has the right idea.

Their idiots! Jk...IME, people say things like that because it communicates their message generally and they don't care enough to know what is right.

The correct way is "3 through 9 by 40".

I guess that I and bunches of other folks have been wrong for many decades. :) I've always figured that "3x9" meant a variable scope, and that the objective lens would probably be 40mm or maybe 50mm.

Since coming on the Internet back fifteen years or so ago, I've seen that the vast majority of posters use the 3x9x40 (or x50) style when talking about variables.

For some fifty years of hanging out in gun shops, the common phrasing has been "three by nine by (some size objective lens)". I figure that written, it derives from the way a two-inch by four-inch board is written 2x4.

Whatever...

Well it's just like when people ask what's the best caliber for a deer rifle and people list .308 Win or .30-06. Caliber isn't the correct term it should be cartridge, but I've given up on trying to correct people. I just roll with it and hopefully the author is able to make me understand.

My first thought is, maybe we would find something more important to worry about, but then again words are important. They should clearly convey our thoughts. With that in mind I will join in and agree with others that 3x9x40 (50) is incorrect and should not be used.:p

Back