3rd model Colt Dragoon.

Stoney

This what I think is a 3rd Model Colt Dragoon Signature Series showed up at a table I was working at a gun show. No box came with it and the right grip has a small hairline crack, but it is unfired and a real sweet Colt, first I've seen with a fluted cylinder.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/pstone001/100_2895.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c119/pstone001/100_2899.jpg
100_2903.jpg

100_2914.jpg

100_2907.jpg

To my knowledge, none of the orriginal Dragoon revolvers were ever flutted but I kinda remember seeing one like yours when Colt made a run of them during the 80's or early 90's with the Fluted cylinder.

don't know of the numbers but I suspect there were some made in- house. Colt was on a campaign to reduce the size and weight of the dragoons ,"By machining steel off the barrel, frame and cylinder," (RL Wilson, Colt, an American Legend) before he decided to go with the smaller Army frame.

This is the first 3rd model Dragoon of the Signature Series I've seen fluted. I'm wondering if this is a small production run by Colt.

3rd model Colt Dragoon

FWIW according to the 1999 catalog of Colt Blackpowder Arms the 3rd. Model Dragoon was available in 3 variations at $ 499,95 each: with fluted cylinder #F1743, with steel backstrap, cut for shoulder stock #F1741, with brass backstrap #F1740. The supportive text is interesting. It reads "One of the most unusual Colts is the Third Model Dragoon with fluted cylinder. Only 12 units were produced, on an experimental basis, in an attempt to reduce the bulk and weight of these large revolvers. Sam Colt abandoned the idea, and the experiment ultimately led to the 1860 Army design."
Bootsie

I have that same fluted 3rd Model Dragoon. There were three separate varieties of 3rd Model Dragoon issued by Colt under the Signature Series.

It's a big, beautiful hunka iron. :) Love that Colt Blue!

Picture19050.jpg

Here it is next to a fluted 1860 Army, for scale. :)
Picture19096.jpg

I don't know any source that does. I just know I think the fluted looks the best of the series of 3rd Model Dragoons, or Dragoons, period. :)

Thanks BigG, I called Colt and they could not give me any production numbers on the fluted cylinders models, no letter for this model is available.
So i'm SOL.:rolleyes:

None of the Blue Book references list production numbers for the any Sig Series guns. Since they were made by Iver Johnson, Henry Repeating Arms may have numbers.

FWIW - 2nd Generation Colt BP items were made by, marketed by, and warranted by Colt. Colt had nothing to do with the Sig Series except for licensing the name.

The second generation guns were built by Colt with parts supplied by Uberti. To be specific.

Unlike third generation signature series which are Colt in name only. Colt never touched them.

Both the 2nd Gens and Sig series were made from parts supplied by Uberti, ASM, and American manufacturers. But, Primarily Uberti.

There were a few (very few) fluted 1st Model Dragoons made in 1848/49. Page 55 'A History of the Colt Revolver' by Charles T. Haven & Frank A Belden; William Morrow & CO - New York 1940

Back