3rd gen colt pocket revolver

Hardy

OK you need to laugh cause I am. A fool that doesn't laugh at his mistakes needs a 10 ft ladder to get on his horse lol--- Ok, I have a 3rd gen colt 31 pocket which I kept in a box for years and (knowing nothing about these little guns) I decided to shoot it after leaving Cabella store with 100 little round balls.

couldnt get them to seat w/ little loading lever--- and flask held nothing enough to cause a bang. I took cylinder out and poured powder and tried to seat balls w small tool but they wanted to roll out. I finally got them seated and a few popped. but anyway I scarred barrel and cylinder but the big thing is I cannot find the loading lever anywhere I was thinking of throwing the gun away OR call Tayors and have them reblue/replace lever and get a conversion cylinder --- or just touch it up w/ oxpho and buy a stand up loading lever. HEY I'm laughing but what would you do?

hardy

I will admit to having a little trouble getting a clear picture. First I would say that you are lucky to have a Cabela's that stocks the .32 ( .315 ) round balls. My Cabela's barely has any pistol balls. They seem to be into smoke sticks and not wheel guns.

So it sounds like you found some balls and tried to load them. I don't understand the part about the flask, but it sounds like the balls were too small and had to be crushed more than you could manage with the short loading lever.

So then when you fired a couple of the chambers ........this is where I get lost.......did the powder not discharge properly because it was not compressed? And that caused a burn ring in some of the chambers of the cylinder and in the barrel? It also sounds like the loading lever flew off???

I think I would be very sure that I could not find the lever first thing. Might try rummaging around in the weeds with one of those big magnets. A new lever might be hard to find. You might have to make one from a longer version.

Don't know how bad the rings are, but would let some time slide by, before doing anything like throwing it away. I know, I know.....been in those situations too, you just want to throw it away and forget the whole thing. But when I do that, then what silly thing I did still bothers me, and now the "throwing away" bothers me too. Maybe not the same for you.

If the barrel can be salvaged, could you sleeve the bad chambers? Are some still good?

If you can prevent another occurrance, you could still shoot the good chambers. And even if you can't find a solution someone might be able to use it for parts if you don't want to be reminded. Heck, kick back, have a brew and cogitate on it awhile before doing anything. It won't cost any more, and it could make a small 'wall-hanger' ! :)

Last edited:
um bought 32 from cabella store and the balls were still too small. The powder flask would not produce enough trip 7 to charge it. I had to double up and pinch balls to seat. This was getting frustrating BUT all is still intact except missing loading lever. No I doubt a ring was formed but that would be due to ball size as compared to chamber. Anyway---still looking for lever but I doubt they are used by many on this thread for this size of gun since too small for hand action. I still am trying to find it. Hey even if I did I would want astand for this small gun so lever probably isn't necessary. Am I wrong?I think Taylors &Co probably could send a uberti that would fit. what about no lever and just a stand or a 32 conversion????

The correct size ball for your little pocket model should be .321 - .323. You probably have .315s which is why they roll out of the chamber. the .315s are the correct size for patches round ball in a single shot pistol. You can get the correct size balls from the Log Cabin Sport Shop 0.323 for $8.95/hd http://logcabinshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=184_157_15&product_id=24935

The Uberti loading lever will work in your Sig Series gun with no problem. As to the short lever, most people use a cheater handle of some sort to get enough leverage to seat the ball. Drilled out wooden dowel, PVC pipe, steel tubing, or an aluminum handle mad just for that purpose, like the SlixHand from Desperado Cowboy Bullets http://www.cowboybullets.com/SliXhand_p_43.html .

Not sure what flask you were trying to use; but, if it's one of the accessory kit flasks from Cabelas, you wasted your money. A brass flask with a 12 grain spout is what you need. Whether it's one of the baby flasks with the 12 grain spout or one of the tubular brass flasks with a spout assortment, you're better off than trying to use one of the plastic POS.

hardy

You said that you scarred the barrel and cylinder, so I was thinking inside not outside.

Well Cabela's is convenient, but slim pickin's for black powder supplies.

I did find a TC brand clear plastic graduated powder measure at Cabela's that has a swing to the side spout that I like. You can just set the plunger-piston at the charge you want and tighten it down, then swing the spout to the side and pour in your powder. After that you can swing the spout back and use the pointy spout to pour the measured powder into the cylinder chamber. That might work for you. I like it because I can vary the charges and see the powder. I think it's $20.

Don't know if that's the one that Fingers doesn't like, but I suspect he was talking about the larger black plastic one. I use one of those just to fill the clear measure, and don't depend on a long spout for measuring. I do have a brass powder flask somewhere that I can't find, but can't remember what measured spouts I have for it.

Back