3rd Deer of the Season

Jack O'Conner

DECdoe.jpg

Once again, I hunted a HOT spot in northern Maryland. A marshy area of Chesapeake Bay forms a head at an inlet. To the left and right are fairly open areas of the forest which is a heavily traveled route for the deer. I climbed a tree on the left side with good views of the area. Just as I reached the top of my climb, a dandy buck showed up at approx 20 yards or so. But my crossbow and gear were still at ground level attached by rope. Gro-o-o-oan!! The buck had an outside spread just past the ears by about 2 inches on each side. I'm not sure how many points. I felt a slight breeze on my neck and Mr. Buck became suspicious. After a few minutes he walked away and vanished into the forest. I quickly brought up my gear and got ready for a shot. But Mr. Buck never returned.

At 3:20PM a lone doe wandered across the open area and stopped behind a brush pile. Distance was approx 25 yards or so. After a time, the doe stepped into the open and I loosed my bolt into her shoulder. The animal dropped at the shot but struggled as if to arise. Heavy blood flow was observed. After a time, the animal stopped struggling. I doubt if this doe ever knew what happened.

I retreived my arrow later. It exited the animal and struck a tree. The bolt is bowed and defective but broadhead remains sharp.

Here is photo attached of my trophy doe. Weight at the Deer Station was about 95 lbs. But it felt heavier than that while dragging.

Knife in the photo is my new drop point by Elk Ridge. Not recommended. Handle and sheath are attractive and well built but steel is inferior and does not hold an edge very well. Its not a keeper. So it goes.

Jack

Nice! 95lb field dressed I assume? That's very much inline with our average doe size around here. Adults are almost always between 95 and 105 field dressed though we do see an occasional monster. I shot one last year that was 149 field dressed but one this year that was only 85.:)

I'm really wanting to get one with the crossbow this year.... not looking likely at this point but you never know.

What broadhead you using?

I've hunted with NAP Thunderheads and Cabela's Super Lazer Pro. They're both accurate, sturdy, and DEADLY. This doe was toppled with Thunderhead.

Some brands cost way more and I have not tried them. No need!!

Jack

Congrats, Jack. I've been hunting hard every Saturday and I've seen nada in a normally productive area. This drought here has changed all the deer patterns. It's frustrating, but I'll be out again tomorrow, sniffing the wind and listening to optimism.

Congrats, that's a good eating sized sookie. Hauled one like that in last Saturday. Around here if you don't shoot does, then you might as well not go, bucks are staying tight to cover and only wandering at night.

Last edited:
Maryland has abundant deer tags and long season, too. I'm hoping for a nice buck before season ends.

I bought my crossbow second hand about 10 years ago. It's an early Ten Pont named HuntMaster Advantage. But if I were to buy a NEW model, it would be Parker Buck Buster:
- fast and accurate
- exceptional trigger
- made in USA
- life time warranty

They sell new on eBay and other sites for about $425. including scope and quiver. Great value!!

Hoping this is helpful.

Jack

Congratulations

That is a very nice looking deer, Looks like the shot was a little high, but with that hit the animal didnt suffer.
Should make many a good meal.
with this being your third deer of the season, is a good indication that you are a Savvy Hunter. Congratulations.:)

Back