38S&W Webley

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
1. Are these guns safe to carry with a round under the firing pin?
2. Does anyone make concealment holsters for them?
3. What's the cheapest way to get a thousand or so rounds of ammunition for it?

The cheapest I found thus far seems to be $16/50 LRN. I would like to get a case of 148gr SWC, all loaded with whatever powder would come close to burning up completely in a 3" barrel OR have flash suppressant in it. Would any reloaders advise on the practicality of finding such a powder and, also would anyone be interested in producing the reloads for me (name a price)?

I found a re-finished Webley that has by far the best trigger I've tried (a tie with a Colt Python) and handles better than a J-frame for me. It won't be my primary carry gun but would make a nice backup and I'd like to make sure that I can get a holster and ammo for it before buying.

The cheapest way to get ammunition is to handload your own. http://www.leeprecision.com/

LEE reloading equipment is cheap and it gets the job done. A good choice for those who must reload to save money $$$.

You can get the LEE bullet casting kit and the turrent press kit together for around $200 retail.
You will soon get that $200 back in the money you save by shooting your own handloads.

Would anyone in Nashville show me how to use a reloading press? I've use a Dillon 1050 before but it is more automated than a Lee single stage and I am not certain of being able to operate any without supervision yet...

Starline is making new .38 S&W brass.

Can use trimmed .38special brass for VERY light loads. The special brass is smaller diameter and tends to split with moderate to heavy loads in the bigger chamber.

Sam

The Webleys have no hammer blocks; they use a rebound lever like the older Colt design. Ordinarily this is enough to keep the gun from firing if the hammer is hit, but if the blow is hard enough to shear the hammer pin or distort the hammer or lever, the gun can fire.

FWIW, the early Enfield revolver used a positive block, but it was eliminated to speed up production during the war.

Jim

Oleg,

Before you purchase a thousand rounds of ammunition using the 146 or 148 grain bullets I'd shoot some samples. My 38/200 Webley shoots 146 grain Remington ammunition very low, but prints quite close to point of aim with 200 grain cast bullets. For fixed sight models that are proofmarked for the 200 grain bullets, this is normal. Some commercial Webley revolvers came with sights that allow for the use of 146 or 148 grain bullets, but in the main, the sights are set for 200 grain pills. Of course you could rework the sights.

Bob

The 38S&W Webley sure looks line a good gun to HANG ON THE WALL. Factory is probably the only thing "safe?, to shoot in the weak action.

Webley a "WEAK" action?

Madison, I have to differ with you about the Webley being a weak action. Compared to a U.S.-made .357, okay, but it is much stronger than the old break-top H&R, I-J, and even S&W break tops.

The Enfield, now, is reputedly not quite as strong as the Webley, but still plenty stout for all factory .38 S&W, .380/200 and .380-2Z loads.

Handloads should be kept fairly equivalent to factory bullet weights and velocities. Good .38 Spl and .357 revolvers are too common to risk these classic old break tops by trying to "magnumize" them. Within design parameters, however, they will easily last our lifetimes and those of our kids. The swing-out Colts and S&W revolvers in .38 S&W are a different animal entirely.

(This, of course, is NOT the time to go into some experimentation Elder Son did with the .38 S&W ctg several years back. No problems, but definitely NOT recommended.):p

Best,
Johnny

The later Webley revolvers have two advantages for strength over the old breaktops. The first is that the latch system is stronger, and the second is that they are made of steel, while a great many of the old guns were made of iron.

Jim

Handloader magazine had a nice article a month or two ago on loading .38 S&W. Even worked up some old 200 grn Super Police / UK service loads ( IIRC they worked up 146, 150 and 200 grn loads).

I would be glad to mail you a copy of the article if you have trouble finding it up there.

Back