Jeffly

I was looking at small pistols for a carry gun, I would like either a small 9mm or a 380, the Sig 380 was a nice fealing gun but was wondering if this was a good enough gun for self defence. Please share your opinions. Thanks Jeff

These days you can find 9mm handguns about the same size as a 380. Take a look at Kel-Tec p11 -- its small, 10 rnds of 9mm, cheap, and reliable.

I second what the good Doctor said. While I love my PPK and carry it often, the Kel-Tec P11 and P40 has made my beloved PPK almost obsolete (as soon as I get my Alessi ankle holster in the mail). More rounds of a larger caliber in a lighter package of about the same size. I don't love the fact that the Kel-Tec is double action only, or that it doesn't have an external safety, but it's a heck of a size efficient package.

The Sig P-232 is an excellent gun, smooth and easy to shoot. I also have a Walther PPK/S, and prefer the SIG. You might also take a look at the Sig P-239. Just a little bigger than the 232, and it is a 9mm with an 8 rd mag. Shoots a hair better than the 232.

If size is not very critical, I'd go with the 239. Easy to carry with a good holster, on the belt or IWB. The 232 is smaller, rounder, sleeker, and easier to slip in a jacket pocket or to conceal under any kind of dress code.

I don't want to start a caliber war, but there is a lot of evidence that the .380 ACP, especially in JHP, is more than adequate for self-defence. It is a short 9mm (9x17mm, compared to the 9x19mm Parabellum), and will do some damage. Obviously, as you go up the scale to 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP, you can do even more damage. On the other hand, a .380 in your pocket beats a .45 in your desk drawer. The best gun/caliber is whatever works for you.

Colt Mustang Pocketlite

They are getting hard to find NIB, but I've seen a few new Mustang Pocketlites at gun shows. Mine has been completely reliable, wieghs just 12.5 ounces, and is perfect for pocket, belt, or hip pouch carry. I carry mine a lot in the summer. It has an alloy frame, so I use Federal "PD" Hydra-Shoks. (I figure a little reduced recoil will make the pistol last longer and, as I said, Mustang Pocketlites are getting difficult to find.) They are pretty soft shooters anyway. Instead of being a straight blow-back design, Mustangs have a locking breech design. They look like a little 1911. Pretty cool!
Being a .380, I want to make sure it will do it's intended job so for my carry load I alternate rounds of Hydra-Shoks and Glaser Safety Slugs.
I feel pretty well armed with it.

Will

I don't see anything wrong with the .380. As with any defense cartridge the first responsibility is to hit what your shooting at. Some of the smaller pistols chambered for 9mm, 40cal, or .45 are really neat (I have the Kimber Ultra Carry in .45), but what it really comes down to in the end is are you capable of handling the recoil of some of these bigger rounds in a light package? Even the lighter weight .380's can be a bear to shoot, if you use hot loads in them. Any gun that is going to be used for self protection should be shot regularly and it should be shot with ammunition that is going to simulate what you routinely carry in it. While a lot of these new generation wonder guns are really neat in the way that they can cram such powerful cartridges into such small packages, they still don't eliminate the truth that lighter guns kick more than heavy ones. This is not a new concept and it sure as hell isn't going to change any time soon. That being said if your afraid to shoot the gun you may have to defend your life with your probably not going to get as much practice from it as you should be. In the end it's the ability to place your shots in the right place and at the right time that will save your life.

I was going to mention that my current mousegun for carry is a Mustang Pocketlite that I sent to SM&A for their Pocket Carry Package. It's a sweet shooter, and much softer shooting than any of the blowback .380's that I've ever shot.

I've got both a PPK and a Sig 232. Love 'em both. I'd prefer a nine but then I'd also prefer a 45. Frankly, the only thing more important than placement is possession. Buy whatever you will carry.

Practice, practice, practice... and carry whatever you have practiced with. After that it's shot placement. For years I was most fond of the Walther and Sig .380s but never found one that was accurate and reliable enough for me. Now I am a fan of the Makarov which is the most accurate and most reliable pistol I've ever owned, no matter the cost. The Makarov is a little more powerful than the .380 BUT I would really love to have Triton Ammo Quick-Shock in the Makarov 9x18 and they don't make it. So if you find a reliable 9x17 (.380) which is accurate then if it were me, I'd load it with Triton Quick-Shock ammo.

There are a LOT of international police and military contractors (spooks) who carry the .380 for all the "work" they do. I have only personally known 3 full time spooks and all of them used Beretta double stack, tip up barell, .380s... And one of them was a Russian who used the .380 instead of the Makarov (blasphemy).

As said before: carry what you will carry all the time if you are going to carry; shoot whatever you are going to carry a LOT; and study shot placement and multiple shot technologies...

Take care and may you never need it!!!

If you aren't wanting the 380 for a smaller-sized gun, then go with the 9 mm. The smaller 9 mm guns are about the same size as many of the medium-large 380s. I you need it to be as compact as possible, go with the 380. If you go with the 380, do your research and determine the best possible 380 for your circumstances. You should do this for any gun you buy, but especially for smaller calibers where you sacrifice some of the size or power that you would get with a larger caliber. After that, make sure you practice until you are an expert with your gun. I see in rereading some of the replies, most of my points have already been said, but probably can't be stressed enough.

Colt Pony.

They're not much bigger than a Walther TPH or Iver Johnson TP22, but with 6+1 of .380 ACP.

I prefer the all-steel model, since it will hold up to heavy shooting (my previous Mustang brought top dollar after over 4000 rounds -- swapping out the recoil springs on a regular basis really cuts down on peening), and I know a few guys who own a steel one for practice and a Pocketlite for carry. Too bad we'll never get to see this design with a titanium frame!

Actually, the steel version *can* be carried in the pocket, if you get it a "melt job" and have some heavy denim or other material sewn into the appropriate pocket.

Most women find the trigger pull too heavy, and many guys do not like it . . . but I grew up shooting DA revolvers, and can hit better and faster with a Pony than the much larger J-frame snubs.

Spent YEARS looking for the perfect mini gun. The Pony is it. I'm going to be ordering a COMPLETE set of spare parts soon.

Now I need a perfect *micro* gun!

Just saw your post...
I shoot a CZ 83 alot. It has a double
stack (13+1) and is very accurate and reliable.
I find myself imporving my groups each session
at the range. Today, 2-3" at 12 yds.
I was in the market for a .380
and was close to buying a Browning BDA made by
Beretta...but I happened upon this CZ and was able to
buy it NIB for $289 w/one hi-cap and a 10 rounder too.
It's SA/DA and the trigger is so much better than
the Browning, Beretta, and Bersa, I think it may be
worth a look.
Good luck!

When I wanted a small pistol for a CCW I purchased a Glock M27, big mistake. It's a great weapon but not very easy to conceal. I then bought a PPK/S and found it better for concealment but I also had problems with my particular PPK. If I had to do it over I would not buy the .380 but would go for the 9mm in a Kahr MK9. You may also want to consider the KelTec P11. I have a KelTec P32 and like it very much and find I am never w/o a CCW now.

Another vote for the P232

Yeah yeah, smaller guns with bigger bullets, smaller guns with the same caliber round, yadda yadda yadda.

The P232 is an ergonomical delight. Its is comfortable to shoot, small enough to conceal. I don't have extensive experience with 'pocket pistols' (which the 232 is not, its too big), but my limited experience has been that they don't shoot (for me) very well...they feel too small and awkward.

That extra size and weight makes the P232 an absolute dream (for me, at least. Others disagree)...I think its small enough to meet Rule 1 of Gunfighting (have a gun) and PLENTY good enough to meet Rule 2 (Hit your target). YMMV.

Mike

Back