.380 smith and wesson bodyguard ammo

If you are talking about 38 super / 38 super +p ammo (i.e. the head stamp says 38 super or 38 super +p ) then no it is not for use in a 380 in no way shape or form. I will not chamber in the gun... and good thing!! 380 is a 200 and a few foot pounds of energy round, 38 super +p runs 500+ foot pounds. 38 supper and 380 are not the same cartridge!

The only other name for the 380 is 9mm short or 9mm kurtz (german word), one might see this on older imported ammo.

If you are talking about a 380 acp +p as made by companies like buffalo bore then you would have to look in the smith manual and see if they have a position on it, I would be shocked if they were ok with it.

In general the current crop of 380's are optimized for size and easy carry so it's unlikely many makers will endorse their gun for plus P rounds as their size leaves little margin of safety. And frankly who would want to shoot plus P 380 in a small gun? I have shot the LCP, kel tec and carry a seecamp 380, they are enough to handle in 380 with hydrashocks, I'd not want to try it with +p.

Maybe something like the browning BDA in 380 (Beretta 84), Sig 232 or a locked breach gun like the colt pony / sig P238 would do ok with the +p 380 though the buffalo bore sight does list trial velocities for their +p stuff with the keltec. Must be interesting testing that stuff in that light of a gun.

.380 ACP = .380 Auto = 9mm Browning Short = 9mm Short = 9mm Kurz (no "t") = 9mm Corto = 9mm Court.

Regarding the last three, all mean "Short" in different European languages. There are likely other versions in additional languages; we 'Murricans just don't commonly encounter guns or ammo in this caliber from those countries here in the US of A. :)

This is NOT the same cartridge as .38 ACP (no "0"). .38 ACP aka .38 Auto is an uncommon cartridge used several obsolescent turn-of-the-century Browning Colts, and is notable mostly for being the parent cartridge of .38 Super Auto, aka Super .38. This cartridge uses the same case as .38 ACP but is loaded to higher pressure. .38 ACP and .38 Super will NOT chamber or function in a .380 ACP firearm.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm back in school :)
Just use good quality 380ACP ammo for practice and shouldn't have any problems. Use even better for SD. The small 380's don't function well if at all with cheap Tulammo etc.

Back