380 reloading

Micro man

Just ordered a ruger 380 lcp max, and since I have no bullets for it I was wondering if there are those in the community that reload for that caliber.
I know the ammunition seems pricey to me and am unsure of the current availability.
Also if you have a favorite load I would appreciate you sharing it.
Thanks Micro Man

I carried a few 380 mouse guns for a few years but eventually abandoned them; just wasn't my thing, but I can see why others like them. I loaded mine with Barnes 80 gr xpd's and pretty snappy charges. Emphasis on "snappy."

Sorting .380s out of range pickup 9mm has given me a good supply. Occasionally I get bored enough to load a batch. There are books full of "recipes."

I did load 380 a long time ago. I still load 9mm which is very similar.

Are you looking for a target load or a defensive load?

At this time, looking for target loads. If after much practice I feel confident in my ability to put shots where I want them, I may occasionally carry it as a slip in the pocket pistol.

As Jim Watson said, there's a ton of data. For target shooting, I would look at Hodgdon's data for 231/HP38. That powder is good for light target loads and meters well, which is helpful for small charges. Their data is for jacketed bullets, but I recall I was shooting something like a 90 or 95-grain cast RN for feed reliability over something like 2.0-2.5 grains of 231. This is below the starting loads for jacketed, but it ran OK in the FIE-imported pistol I had, which was a shrunken 1911 in design. Whether the LCP will run with a load that light, I can't say.

Might check with your LGS. Sometimes they have guys with a commercial reloader who have them at reasonable prices. That's how I'm getting mine.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

For a time, I had a S&W 380 EZ, and I still have a S&W Bodyguard 380. Ammo for the 380 was expensive, so being a long time reloader, I ordered bullets and loaded up a bunch. But since I reload so much 9mm and dislike reloading 380, I decided to just stay with the 9mm and quit doing 380 ammo. I can provide my 380 reload data if anyone wants it.

I sold the 380 EZ and bought a P365 Macro. About the same size, and the 365 holds more rounds. And no grip safety on the Sig.

I shoot a fair amount of 380. For plinker loads, I typically use a 95gr round nose cast bullet with 3.0 gr of 231. This is right in the middle of the range according to the Lyman book.

I also have a Max, a 1st gen LCP(which I'll probably never shoot again), and a S&W EZ. This load runs well in all of them.

Last week in Meridian MS at a local gun shop. Browning brand .380 95gr FMJ $59.00 for a 150 round value box. or 20 bucks pr/50....thats not half bad. I bought 2

I used to load for a Beretta 1934, and my loads were all "snappy", as stagpanther says. Snappy, but still "book" loads of Power Pistol under 90 gr XTP or Sierra Sig or 95 gr Speer TMJ. Never a problem. If you just want target rounds, Unclenick has it right (as always) with HP-38. Really, the old 9mm Corto is a pretty easy round to load.

I load these for my wife’s Glock 42.
They are very accurate and very reliable.
CCI small pistol primers
3.1 grains HP-38
100 grain Berry’s RN
C.o.a.l. - .980

I don’t load for that any more so I’m sure I have dies, brass and bullets. If you want I’ll see how much I have. PM me if interested.

Back