.380+P in .380 Chambered Makarov?

I would have no qualms shooting +P .380 in an all steel Makarov type pistol so chambered.
9 mm Makarov is the 9 X 18 chambering, a different round than .380 but quite similar in power level. I have trimmed one MM from standard 9mm brass to reload 9 mm Mak I then mark the caseheads with magic marker.
Berry's makes decent cheap bullets for 9mm Mak. Good SD rounds available from Hornaday as well.

Gunslinger586 As asked above, is it safe to shoot .380+P in my .380 Makarov?
The two are not interchangeable. .380acp case and bullet are smaller. The 9mmMAK case and bullet is larger.

First, both cartridges headspace on the case mouth. With the .380 case being shorter, you most likely will experience reliability issues because the firing pin doesn't reach the primer. If you got lucky and the extractor is holding the .380 case against the breech face, it may fire.
Second, firing off a cartridge whose dimensions are smaller than what its chambered for? Yeah, that's may be necessary in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI fantasy, but it ain't real bright. All kinds of cartridges will fit in guns not designed for them. Thats how you get squibs, damaged guns and blind people.
Third, there is no SAAMI spec for .380+P. Meaning its up to any jackleg ammo company to load it to who knows what pressures. I'm sure if you asked the manufacturer "is it safe" they would give an unequivocal NO!, IT'S NOT!.
Lastly, there is a reason there are aftermarket .380 barrels for Makarov pistols.;)

Back