.380 effectiveness statistics

o-town

Does anyone know where I can find the statistics on the effectiveness of .380 defense rounds? Thanks for the help

Man! Just like that you give the poor guy both sides of the unwinnable arguement!
O-town:In case you aren't aware of the fact, both these sites purport to have the lowdown on stopping power and neither agrees with the other on proper methodology. Some of thier predictions may be close to each other but that would be mostly coincidence.
I do think that both of them are sincere about thier numbers though. Read both sites and make your own conclusions

Don in Ohio

And the answer is the 12 ga. slug - well, make it a 10 gauge just to be safe...

The only pistol cartridge I know of they both agree on is the 41 mag. Silvertip ( and up ). Oddly enough, I just happen to have 3 4" Smith 41's and a coffee can full of speedloaders, say a dozen apiece for each gun.

My serious social work rifle is the FN49 in 7x57 with softpoints and 175 grain ball. Just like the ammo Karamojo ( WDM ) Bell used. LOL, it's true! You think that's a little light and I should move up to a heavier caliber?

Marshall/Sanow says one thing.

Firearms Tactical and Facker say another thing.

Before them came Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan allowed a 200 grain 40 caliber slug and a thousand feet per second ought to do. That's how we got the police loaded 41 magnum - bout the time these newfangled hollowpints ( Lee Jurras' Super-Vel leading the way ) hit the market.

o-town, sorry to make fun, but it's so frustrating to try to get a straight answer. You either scream or laugh. If you find out the answer, post it back here. I got a couple 380s I want to keep handy for when it's inconvenient to have a real fighting handgun on me.

Back