.380 Colt Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWK

My Dad's old "daily carry" weapon from his FBI service in the '40s and '50s is a Colt .380 (yes, I'm very glad he never had to seriously employ this "pocket pistol" against the many more formidable weapons of that era). As I recall (and it's been a long time since I've seen it), it's an all stainless (maybe stainless and aluminum) no external hammer design, so I assume it's a Pony (??). Also, I'm sure this Colt has not been out of his safety deposit box in almost 40 years.

He's now "pushing ninety" and has asked me to take this pistol home when I next visit. I have considerable experience with small arms (20 years as a Naval officer) and actively target shoot(500+ rounds a month) with my Sigs (226 and 220), Kimber (1911A1) and Glock (23). BUT I HAVE ZERO EXPERIENCE WITH .380s AND WITH INTERNAL-HAMMER COLTS.

Any advice from the distinguished participants in this forum re restoring this pistol and firing it would be greatly appreciated!

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited October 01, 1999).]

Hi RWK,

Sounds like a 1903 Model Colt Hammerless (I'm sure this is not the correct nomenclature) in nickel. Neither the Pony nor stainless steel were available in those days.

I have fired one in .32 Auto and they are decent little guns. Nothing to the lack of an external hammer - just remember that if the chamber's not empty, the safety needs to be on. Glocks have internal hammers and no safety - just a matter of perspective.

Once you get your hands on it, post in the Smithy for advice on restoring it (if needed) or in Harley Nolden's forum for the history of the model.

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited October 01, 1999).]

To Gizmo's excellent response I might just add that if the pistol is .380 caliber it would, unless I'm mistaken, be a 1908 Pocket Hammerless (basically the 1903 but in the different caliber).

Personally, I would view the pistol more as a collectible and, of course, a family heirloom than something to be used. I probably wouldn't do anything to it except clean it. If it's nickel, I'd be careful not to use anything too penetrating. Hoppe's gun oil is supposed to be safe with nickel.

Gentlemen:

I greatly appreciate your insight and advice. I'll definitely identify, thoroughly clean/lubricate (Hoppes), and preserve the .380 Colt. But I agree it's an heirloom, not a carry or range weapon.

Again, thanks.

Hi folks,

Do not use Hoppe's No 9 cleaner on any nickel plated firearm. It contains ammonia, which won't harm nickel but if there is any crack or chip that will allow it to penetrate to the copper underplating, it will attack the copper and the nickel will peel. Hoppe's Gun Oil is OK, but this is just to avoid confusion.

The .380 Colt Model 1908 is a very nice gun and very reliable. It is also pretty accurate as pocket pistols go. Mainly it is very concealable, especially in an inside the pants holster.

Jim

Following up on Jim's comments, the original Colt ads for the 1903/1908 models claimed that they were "Flat as a book in the pocket". This says a lot about the era:

1) It was common to carry a pistol in a pocket.

2) It was common to carry a book in a pocket.

3) Books were a lot thinner than they are today. ;-) One could say that a Glock 30 is as thin as a Tom Clancy paperback, but those are not very thin, are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back