38 Super "Who"

Turk

Going to purchase a new handgun in Jan. and I'm looking at the 38 Super.

Who is currently chambering for this round?

Thanking everyone in advance.

Have a Merry Christmas and remember the reason for the season.

Turk

COLT

Government Model, of course. Also Commander. They have Colts built for South America that are really nice, too.

Colt is still making 1911's in thity-eight super, that is if you don't mind them saying something like "EL _____". And all pimped out for all our shooting compadres south of the border. Sig was making some P220's in this chamber till last year. If you shop around, there are still some NIB bargains to be had. Kimber has 38 Super listed in their catalog, but they have lots of trouble even keeping up with 45 acp production to even consider making something else. A few months ago they started delivering guns chambered in 40 S&W, after a very long wait. Probably the only way you can get one in 38 Super would be a custom shop order gun. And if you pursue the custom route, there maybe other 1911 builders willing to fulfill your desires.

Robert

I just recently purchased a NIB Colt 1911A1 in 38 Super. There were two new in box at the gun show. I picked the one that was a little cheaper. Would have liked a Commander, but did find one. Oh well, I am pretty happy as is. If you look around you should be able to find one fairly easily. Check out auction arms, also.

Turk,

I bought a Colt Custom in 38 Super, high polish stainless, from Bernies Sports in Atlanta a few months ago. They acted like they thought there was no problem getting them.

Casey

Some Current Production .38 Super Handguns

Briley Fantom, Plate Master, El Presidente

Kimber Custom Stainless, Gold Match Stainless, Polymer Stainless

Les Baer Custom 1911, 1911 Premier II

Rock River Arms 1911

Springfield 1911-A1 Custom, Bullseye Wadcutter

STI Eagle 6.0, Trojan 6.0, Competitor 5.5, Eagle 5.1

E.A.A. Witness Gold Team Auto, Silver Team Auto

Steve Mace

I vote for the EAA Wittness. It's a strong and accurate gun that gives you the option of high-capacity magazines. With the wide range of models and options, I'd not limit my choices to 1911 types. They have compensated, compact, and competition models. I'd stay away from both the compacts and polymers.

Here's their Web Site: http://www.eaacorp.com/firearms/pistols/index.html

witness_standard_steel_fullsize_large.jpg

38 Super...

Kinda in the same boat, but mine seems to be sinking FAST. I live in CA. Restricted to 1 handgun every 30 days. Not eligible for another til mid-Jan 2001. Will there be a 38 Super available for me next year (I'm looking NIB)?

BigG,

I actually bought the Colt over the phone, and they shipped it to a local smith.

I do sometimes get to Atlanta, but have not made it to Bernies in person.

Casey

Turk,

While I can't speak regarding the polymer Witness models, I can assure you that the compact model 10mm Witness that I own is top notch. It is the best 10mm I have owned - a G20 and Delta Elite being the others. The grip is the best. Also, you can buy conversion assemblies from EAA for many other popular calibers. You can buy a 9mm Witness and get a 38Super conversion package for it. Or you can get the Witness in 38Super and convert it to another caliber you like.

Turk,

Compacts and Polymers in the EAA line don't have a good reliability track record. I'm speaking entirely from what I've read in the Gun Tests magazine. A few other reasons jump to mind. I'm making the assumption that you do not want a concealed carry gun. The compacts are only slightly smaller in the EAA line. The full-length barrel will give you the most velocity and sight radius for accuracy of any model. Also, the magazines -- especially the high-capacities -- are more available for the 38 Super.

Minor correction: the 'small' frame, i.e. the 9mm, can wear tops for 9x19, 9x21, 40S&W, and 41AE. The 'large' frame comes in 38 Super, 45ACP, and 10mm (although my perhaps incorrect understanding is the 10mm version is beefed up for the ten).

I own a 45ACP full-size Witness. With a 38 Super "LongSlide" top-end the pistol has been 100% reliable (you should see some of the range brass it will swallow and eject, including all the new weird .355"-bore cases) and extremely accurate.

Back