38 spl +p question

cnemeth

In a recent gun catalog with ballistic information I read that a 130 gr 38 spl at 930 fps was listed as +p ammo. I've shot many boxes of Federal American Eagle 130 fmj 38's that are listed on their cartons as being at 930 fps.

Is the American Eagle ammo really +p .38 spls? I've read posts that firing alot of 38 +p in .357 magnum revolvers can damage the cylinder. Since I've shot all of these bullets in my Blackhawk, is it possible that I'm damaging my gun?

thanks

Chris Nemeth

According to the most recent Federal catalog, the American Eagle AE38K (130 grain FMJ) load is 38 Special, and is not +P loading. Muzzle velocity is listed at 950 fps. That is from a 4-inch ventilated test barrel, and any resemblence to an actual velocity from a real gun is purely coincidental. ;)

The 130 grain FMJ loads are typically made to duplicate the US M41 Ball load, which are notorious for being really anemic. With this military ammo you can expect 650 fps from a 2" revolver, and 750 fps from a 4" revolver. I'd hazard a guess the Federal AE is not too much more zippy.

Back