38 spl +P loads

bkan

Inactive
I purchased a used Taurus model 85, 2", ss, 38 spl. Is this gun rated to use 38 spl+P loads? I would appreciate any info.

Happy Hollidays

Ben:)

bkan,

I really don't know if it is officially rated as such for +P ammunition by Taurus (I lost my user manual long ago).

What I can tell you is that your revolver is steel, and in all reality can easily withstand +P pressures. I have the same model Taurus (though blued) and have been pushing +P ammunition through it for ages now with no adverse effects.

If it's not officially +P rated by Taurus, then they may not honor the warranty (if you ever have to use it) if you admit to using non-specified ammunition... but after hundreds of SWCHP+Ps going through my 'lil M85CH, I'd say it's plenty strong enough.

Looks like 85 is +p rated, go here and double check for yourself:

http://www.taurususa.com/m85.html

There are several different models that fall under the 85, make sure the one you have is one of them and that is rated appropriately.

Always check with a knowledgeable source before attempting to do something that could end your life, blind you or take a few fingers.

Bob

Current-production Model 85s may all be rated for +P now, but I don't think that was the case as recently as the mid-90's.

If your gun is 5 years old or less, you're probably all set on the +P issue.

I like what Snowdog had to say as well. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep carrying +P for defense in an all-steel model 85 (rated or not). I'd probably stick to standard stuff almost always for practice, though (again, rated or not).

-tubeshooter

Back