38 special wadcutter

Clubster

I just used up all my 148gr DEWC wadcutter lead bullets and before I buy more was hoping to get suggestions on a new version to standardize on for paper punching in an indoor range? Ideal diameter (.358)? Brand? Weight? Prefer DEWC if at all possible. Would be shot out of a Smith 686 Competitor - 6” barrel. Have been using 2.6 grs of 700x but can run Bullseye or red dot depending on which is better.

Bear Creek makes really good HBWC -I like them better than the copper coated-I don't know a serious bullseye shooter that shoots
the copper/brass whatever.

For indoor range use ... you might want to try the powder coated bullets ... they are a little less smokey than conventional Alox - Beeswax lubricated bullets .
I don't mind a little ... Gunsmoke ... but some do !
I size my cast bullets .358" diameter ... I have also used .357" sized and see no difference at indoor range distances .
Gary

When you say powder coated are you referring to a HiTek type of coating?
I'm not sure what the "Coatings" are ... some kind of high - tech powder coating that goes on dry and is baked on !
I'm old school and still use a Lyman 450 Lubricator / sizer bought and paid for in 1968 to size and lube my bullets with ... Lithium - Beeswax (Lithi-Bee) is my lube of choice .

To hear the Powder Coaters talk ... after doing the new improved way ... you can foretell the future , heal the sick and raise the dead ,,, the stuff is that great !

But I'm happy with my way !
Gary

Most commercial coated bullets use Hi Tek but some brands have their own mix.

Powder coating is a DIY with dry powder apparently applied by static cling until baked to fuse it into a tight coat.

Back